Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic Image Focus vs Eden WT 550

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Steve S, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Would the Acoustic Image Focus 1 give me the same volume level as my World Tour 550 amp? I'm intrigued by the Focus because of its size.

2. bassjam

bassjam

Aug 2, 2004
    dfw
    Lakland Basses,Genz Benz
    ive owned both and had a chance to a/b them.the focus is every bit as loud and maybe a touch louder.but it depends what kind of tone you are after.they are two totally different animals.i opted to go with the focus.

3. Peik

Peik

Dec 2, 2004
    Sweden
    what tonal differences is there? is the Focus warmer or more clean than the WT550. how is the Focus EQ compared to the very flexible WT550?
    I own a WT550, but have been looking alot at the Focus just because it lookes so small, and (on paper anyway) puts out slightly more WAtts.

4. bassjam

bassjam

Aug 2, 2004
    dfw
    Lakland Basses,Genz Benz

the wt 550 is warmer and sounds like...well an eden-which i love.i would say the 550 is also more flexable.

the focus is very uncolored(what you put into it is what you get out of it amplified),tighter and quicker-if that makes sense.the eq is more subtle.

in my bedroom i prefered the wt550.it had a sweeter tone that i couldnt get with the focus.live however i prefered the focus.i couldnt hear the 550 at times and i never had that problem with the focus.the focus i still feel is just a touch louder,though it may be because its a little clearer sounding.i also prefered the di on the focus.what came back to me in my monitor was much clearer and cleaner and cut through on stage.i should say i like a clean punchy tone over a softer tubey tone so again it depends what you want.if you want to warm it up you can always add something in your signal chain.i hear brian barrett is working on a stomp box tube pre that sounds like a really cool idea.

i decided on the focus.i travel alot and the focus is easy to throw in an overhead of an airplane(though the 550 isnt bad either).and just rent a cab on the other end,instead of not knowing what you will end up with as a rental amp.(which is usually an swr which isnt my thing)

5. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Thanks..that's what I needed to know..

6. slinkp

slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    I don't have experience with that exact pair, but I have a WT300 and a Clarus, and I'm selling the eden :)

Bassjam's observations re. tone are right on target with mine.
    The AI seems a little more open on the top end to me, too. More transparent.

The Clarus EQ is not nearly as wildly flexible as the Eden's, but it is still quite useful. If you like the uncolored tone of your cab reasonably well and just want to nudge it a little in one direction or another, the AI EQ is great, more flexible than many vintage amps certainly, and there's quite a lot of clean boost/cut available, you just don't have control of the frequency bands.

Also if you're fond of the Eden's compressor, note that the AI has none.
    I didn't use it much anyway.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    after gigging with my Focus, my Alembic F-1X / Stewart 1.2 feels like a sack of bricks.

i'm sure the Eden sounds great, but cmon, i can merely shove the Focus into the front pocket of my gig bag!!

8. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles

9. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Now, what's that? Don't you know that tone is in your fingers, and all an EQ can do is ruin it? ;)

Truly, whereas other brands may have a more versatile EQ, AI has a very efficent one, too! If you need to tweak your EQ between each song, you are in problems that AI won't solve. If you set your EQ to have your basic tone in 'this arena', then AI is quite enough - and more!

11. bassjam

bassjam

Aug 2, 2004
    dfw
    Lakland Basses,Genz Benz

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

13. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    sorry to shamelessy hijack this thread......... :D

joker - i've been dying to try an avalon U5 vs my demeter preamp and have a location i can do so at. The real question is, do you know if anyone is currently making a case/gigbag for the U5? or is that something i'd have to have made special order by tuki?

14. bassjam

bassjam

Aug 2, 2004
    dfw
    Lakland Basses,Genz Benz

someone told me they use a video camera bag he bought at wal mart for the u5.if it worked it sure would be cheaper than having one made.

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i just got the rack ears and set it in my 3 space Odyssey bag along with my Stew. works great, and is very secure.

btw, on my recent gear binge, i also picked up a Dem preamp SUPER CHEAP on the ol' bay. gonna do my own little shootout between those two, and post it up here on TB.

stay tuned...

16. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I own a U5 an old Eden traveler, I bought the padded shoulder bag for the traveler. When I use them together they fit nice in an old pedal board case I had. When I use the U5 alone (church gigs) it fits perfect in the Eden padded shouder bag. I think Eden still sells them.

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    speaking of which,

if you goto your local camera store, or you can try www.bhphotovideo.com, there's a plethora of camera bags that would prolly fit the U5. also, they have tons of pockets for whatever else you'd need on the go. some a really pricey, but the uglier ones can be had for a good price. :p :D

18. bassjam

bassjam

Aug 2, 2004
    dfw
    Lakland Basses,Genz Benz

:)
    talked to this fellow today and he said he paid $20.not sure what it looks like.but for that.........

19. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Reading this thread makes me want to sell my new Eden WT-550. Same or more power in half the size and 1/3 the weight... no brainer, right? Can always use the BDDI to get some grit.

20. Gomez

Gomez Live from the Shire

Apr 15, 2005
    .......funniest thing I heard all week.