1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Acoustic Image Ten2 630AA & TenEX640EX? The ultimate mid rig?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by roccobass, Jul 29, 2016.

1. roccobass

roccobass Still funkin’ in the free world. Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2014
    California
    Just checking for feedback on whether I should go for this.

Trying to condense 3 amps and cabs down to one efficient system for electric bass and upright. Thinking these two might do the trick and give the best of both world.

Not looking to play heavy rock or play the coliseum, Name-that-Pa-looza or such. Maybe jazz, blues, and some rock. Just a good small to strong mid system. I figure if I'm needing extreme volume I can get pumped through the monitors and the mains of the PA.

Met one guy who had such a set up who played electric and upright through it and swore by it, but he was not real reliable so I never got to check it out.

Anybody out there who is set up with this rig and plays electric bass (Fender and Sadowsky) and acoustic upright ( I use a K & K Bass Max p/u) and has a researched and mature opinion on this? If so please advise. Thank you in advance.

2. neddyrow

neddyrow Captain of Team Orange Jacket Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    I use a Ten2 and use it to power 1 or 2 Ampeg 2x10"s and it works well for both. Better for upright but with a little EQ, or a preamp of your choice, it'll work for BG. Pretty light too.

roccobass likes this.
  3. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    I liked the voice and everyone likes the weight of the ten 2 ex but for my needs it seemed like a delicate cab for people who don't play very loud but need just occasionally more volume. I needed a cab that could run at mid levels all of the time and hard occasionally, so it failed miserably for me. At one gig ( the last one with for that rig), my trio actually sent me home to get another set of cabs for the second set. $700 disappointment and a near miss on getting fired.....

neddyrow and roccobass like this.
  4. roccobass

roccobass Still funkin’ in the free world. Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2014
    California
    Thanks Ned and James,

i did get some info that the Ten 2 Ex may not have enough moxie just in case it got loud for acoustic. I like more presence.
    I actually have a 10 year old Coda R that I've been using, but thought to upgrade. It's still functional, but would not be the all round rig I want.

I try not to play with loud ensembles with my upright. I mean, I might as well bring my fretless electric at that point. I lose the whole point of playing acoustic bass, at least in my situation. (hopefully you guys aren't rockabilly players and I offended you! If so, I'm sorry. I love listening to rockabilly, but not my playing bag).

The electric side would need the oomph. Still not going to be playing in a super loud situation.
    Thank you for sharing your experience, James. I'd rather not spend money and be disappointed. Btw, what styles do you play?

Ned, I'm inclined to go with what you said about getting a different second cabinet. An Ampeg set of 2x10s or another high quality deep sounding 2x10s. Would love to go with a 15", but I'd had intermittent problems with the "boom" factor. Me and the bass drum together. LOL.

Once again guys, thanks for the input....Marty

5. Jay Corwin

Jay Corwin Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I'm another guy that uses the modular setup with 2 of the SVT210AV cabs. My head is an Ampeg though. It's nice being able to add the cab if the situation calls for it. They are cheap and sound good.

I used an AI CONTRA for a while and it was fine at minimal volume. They sound great but have no balls, and aren't very flexible for bigger rooms. Great for dinner jazz, but not good for clubs or outdoor gigs with PA.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 12, 2021