1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Acoustic/Roots Groove Upright Bassists

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by slapmutepop, Oct 8, 2009.

1. After approx 13years of playing Electric Bass i went out and bought a cheap Acoustic Upright.
    That was 2 years ago.
    Since then i have also purchased an amazing Electric Upright Bass.

Eventually i wanna be playing jazz on it, but for now I am playing in an Acoustic/Roots Groove band.
    Some are straight foward songs, some are extended jam sessions.
    Now i have found my feet, I am looking for inspiration from other players out there.

Bands with Upright bassists doing this style that have impressed me recently are the John Butler Trio and G.Love & Special Sauce.

Was wonder if the greater community of TB could throw some suggestions my way of new music that i could listen to for inspiration.

I apologise if there are other threads of this topic. I did do a search but couldn't find anything.

Cheers.

slappa

2. Wow! No replies.... :bawl:

Have i asked this question in the wrong thread?

3. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    No replies doesn't mean we're not ignoring you. We're just too occupied with jazz and classical...

It's up to you to experiment and find your own voice. Just listen to the EB players and see what they're doing. This stuff ain't specific to just DB. We just make it sound better. :cool:

Regardless, Ron Carter showing how it's done:

You might also want to also check out Brian Bromberg and Stanley Clarke.

4. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    I'm showing my age. Chief, the first name that came to mind is Danny Thompson with the Pentangle, one of the great British folk bands of the 60s. What a killin' sound -- better recorded sound than anybody at the time, for my two cents. Not that he does what you do, but it's righteous DB in a pop-oid setting and you might pick up something cool.

You might also want to check out Medeski Martin & Wood -- Chris Wood is supposed to be a fine DB player.

Does "Acoustic Roots Groove" go to, maybe:
    David Grisman bands
    Crooked Still
    Edgar Meyer

Please give us a couple more clues and you'll probably get more better help. Apparently many of us have trouble sorting out who is in what bunch.

5. ShirazBop

ShirazBop

Sep 29, 2006
    Greensboro, NC
    Being an EB guy, if I ever get into upright I would want to get into MM&W for sure....

Also, Bad Plus and Dave Holland...great grooves!!

6. +2 for Chris Wood. He's a bad man! Check out his early MMW stuff and all of his Wood Brothers stuff... just great playing!

7. MLysh

MLysh

Oct 11, 2007
    MD/DC/VA
    Check out the following cds:

Nashville - Soloman Burke
    Raising Sand - Robert Plant & Allison Krause
    River Of Time - Jorma Kaukonen
    Written In Chalk - Buddy & Julie Miller
    Tiny Voices - Joe Henry
    Mule Variations - Tom Waits
    Wicked Grin - John Hammond
    Together Through Life - Bob Dylan
    Electric Dirt - Levon Helm
    Astral Weeks (studio version) - Van Morrison

8. Nice.

That is plenty to keep me going.
    Much appreiciated folks!

9. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    Danny Thompson with Billy Bragg, Nick Drake, Richard Thompson and of course Pentangle. He also has a great record with Blind Boys of Alabama.

Larry Taylor or Greg Cohen with Tom Waits on all those classic albums starting with Heart Attack and Vine.

Roy Huskey Jr. with everyone.

Mark Rubin from Bad Livers and a host of Austin bands.

Lloyd Brevett with the Skatalites and a host of Ska/Rocksteady performers.

10. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
    don't know if he's been mentioned or not, but check out some stuff from Rob Wasserman.

something interesting -

11. DownLow

DownLow

Nov 30, 2007
    Another vote for Chris Wood. Check out The Wood Brothers

www.thewoodbrothers.com

They have released 2 albums of originals (Ways not to Lose, and Loaded) both outstanding.

Recently they released a short album covering some of thier favorite artists called Up Above My Head. Very good as well.

One of my favorite players.

I just saw MMW in Milwaukee last weekend. Great show.

12. ransombass

ransombass

Dec 16, 2008
    Tulsa, Ok
    You might check out Christian McBride's soul and r&b stuff. The Philadelphia Project is really groove based. Lonnie Plaxico is also an outstanding upright funk player.