Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustics?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hella_Groovy, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Hella_Groovy

Hella_Groovy

Aug 31, 2004
    Richmond Va
    Hey, guys and gals. I'm about ready for my next bass purchase, and I'd really like an electric-acoustic four string. I played a no-name indonesian at a local shop here in richmond that I liked. Played a Fender and hated it. What would you guys recommend? I'm looking at Michael Kelley and Tobias, neither of which I have any way of trying, or any suggestions you guys may have, or the indonesian thing I mentioned. Could you please descibed the tone, build quality and feel? My price range is about $500 US. Thanks! :bassist:

2. I played a $179 bass that felt & sounded very nice- didn't plug it in, though. I played an Ovation 5 string that I really dug & would've snatched, but $500 used was a bit steep. I've played around w/a friend's $1300 Tacoma- nice, but didn't do(for me)what a $1300 instrument should. I'm not knocking the quality of it, it just didn't do it for me. So I'm left struck w/how nice the occasional cheap ABG can sound/play/feel, & how 'blah' a very pricey one sometimes leaves me. I say find one that you like, ignore the name & decide if it's worth it.

3. Good question, I always thought the Kramers were ok, sound wise.

It's funny, we were asked to play an acoustic show, so the lads said i had to find an acoustic (lefty) bass.

I told them that it wouldn't matter anyway because I would have to plug into an amp - acoustic bass doesn't carry sonically against an acoustic guitar and brushing style drums.

Ended up playing the Jazz with the Eq tweaked to give a more "acoustic" sound......

4. I enjoy my Dean Performer. It's bulletproof and loud enough unplugged to jam around the campfire with the guys. The only one I found that was louder was a $900 Martin.

5. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I had a Guild B4E (small body, short scale) for years. Sold it because I didn't use it much. Very woody tone. But no volume unplugged (could hardly play along with an acoustic guitar). I'd really love to have an Ovation 5-string!

ANDRUCA

6. JohnBarr

JohnBarr

Mar 19, 2004
    Central NY
    The Wahsburn AB10 is in your price range. I've had one for a couple years.
    Good points: Very well made, solid; no set up issues; thin body is comfortable to play; plenty of options for sound from the on-board amp; drop-dead good looks (I think, anyhow)

Not-so good points: Unplugged it has less volume than the larger-body guitars (though none if them are loud), and won't get the deep body sound; drop dead ugly (depending on the beholder)

But I've had a chance to compare it with others and it compares well over all. The Tacoma is the front runner, but it's twice as much. Epi El Segundo may also be in your price range.

I agree with you on the Fender. I'd put the Ibanez and Rogue ABG's there too, though I suspect I'll get flamed for that. I know there are exceptions but all the ABG's I've seen for under $300 leave a lot to be desired.

I have not played the guitars you mention, they look like quality instruments.

FWIW if I had it to do over again I would buy a Godin A4 without a second thought.
    http://www.godinguitars.com/godina4p.htm
    If you're in this for the long haul, don't over look them.

Good luck,

John