1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Activation of SAG Knobs on Pedal Power 2 Plus...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by nitram, Jan 18, 2012.

1. nitram

nitram

Apr 19, 2008
    Hi everybody ! :)

I was wondering something about the sag knobs on the Pedal Power 2 Plus... So I'm calling on the expertise of you guys that use that power supply... :help:

I recently had problems with my army green russian made Electro Harmonix Small Stone pedal... Plugued into power supply number 7 on the PP2+... :meh:

It initially workd fine, but I could feel that througout the last couple of mounths, my Small Stone (SS) was progressively weakening my bass signal when engaged... :rollno: I also noticed that my signal became muffed... just like the treble was sudenly cut somehow... :eyebrow: and I also noticed that the overall instrument signal was sometime less audible depending on where the cycle of the phaser would be... :eyebrow:

I have to admit that I forgot that I had the darn thing plugged into the 7th position, thus forgetting about that SAG knob altogether... :bag: So I never thought of looking at the SAG knob, especially since the PP2 manual says to put the dip switch AWAY from the NORMAL position in order to benefit from the SAG feature... :spit:

I was wondering if the SAG feature actually affects the power supplied when the dip switch is in the NORMAL position, even if the manual states that it needs to be AWAY from the NORMAL position for SAG usage... :confused:

I can't fully test this as my pedal is out to the tech for a look at and I just noticed that my SAG knob wasn't fully opened clockwise... I have yet to try it again with it full opened...

EDIT: I've just got confirmation from my tech that he opened up the pedal, looked at the components and that everything is fine to him and that he said he tried it with a battery and it worked as it should... :bassist:

Could it be that the knob slowly turned by itself due to transportation and all ?

Thanks in advance for your answers.:bassist:

Peace.;)

Nitram :hyper:

2. It's a shot in the dark, but are you using an active bass? Perhaps the battery needs replacing, if you are.

3. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    No active bass battery issue here. The SAG actually drops the voltage to emulate the same sputtery and lo-fi sounds the pedal would experience if it had a dying battery. Turn it back up and you'll be fine.

4. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    The 'Sag' control inserts a series resistance into the power supply 'hot'...it will reduce the voltage output. This feature is only intended to be used with fuzz pedals, to simulate the 'dying battery' sound. Obviously you don't want to use the 'sag' control with effects like a phaser. Dial the control for minimum 'sag' and you should be OK.