Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Active bass???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DirkLanceFan, Jun 10, 2004.

1. DirkLanceFan

DirkLanceFan Guest

May 8, 2003
    Dallas, Tx, USA
    I know it's a shame for me to ask this but I've been playing bass for about 2 yrs.( I just played, I didn't worry about "active" when buying a bass) and I dont whats with the "active" in bass terms??? can someone help me?? :rollno: :bassist:

2. Gretschluvr

Gretschluvr

Jun 8, 2004
    Passive bass is just a standard coil pickup as originally invented for the electric guitar and bass. Active system has a small preamp board inside the bass to amplify the signal from the pickup. As in my bass, it has an active equalizer. Not just a preamp for amplifying the signal but has active tone controls (bass, mid, and treble). This type system can:
    1. get louder (even to the point of overdriving an amp in most cases)
    2. more sound versatility.
    3. uses typically a 9 volt battery that is stored inside the control cavity of the bass itself.

Hope this helps you understand,
    Gary

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Active basses typically have an on-board pre-amplifier, usually with associated tone controls. The electronics usually are powered by one or two 9-volt batteries in a cavity on the back of the bass. The active EQ allows you to boost or cut a particular frequency range (bass, mid, treble) as opposed to passive systems which are usually cut only.

I like active basses for their versatility. My only passive bass (out of 9) is a Fender Roscoe Beck 5, which also is pretty versatile.

There are going to be a few people here with some namby-pamby preference for passive electronics, because they think the tone is "purer" or some malarkey like that. Don't listen to them. They are the liars and knuckleheads of TalkBass. Active rules. RULES!

4. DirkLanceFan

DirkLanceFan Guest

May 8, 2003
    Dallas, Tx, USA
    thanx guys I know what you guys are talking about. I've played one before it was an Ibanez. It had an alright sound to it, I guess it was bcuz my friend had the tones to high-mid and Im not a big fan of mid, Im more of a low sound guy. Have any of you heard of Dirk Lance-ex. bassist for incubus?? well i like his sound. it was low but with a little bit of mid in it.