Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Active Crossover suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AndrewShirley, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Did the search, came up with very little. For those of you using an active crossover in your rig, what would you recommend?

I've been to a couple of the common merchants around the net and found some contenders, but I'm looking for real-world results without having to conduct some expensive experiments.

Thanks for your input!

- Andrew

2. getz76

getz76

Apr 3, 2005
    Hoboken, NJ
    What are you using for the rest of your rig?

Biamping has seemed to lose favor as newer speaker cabinets tend to be full range, hence the need to split frequencies has diminished... you might not get a lot of responses.

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    As electronic circuits go crossovers are very simple. For use with electric bass there would be no advantage to anything expensive or a digital. I'd get the least expensive DBX I could find.

4. getz76: My plans are to build the Tuba 24, lo-pass it at around 80-100Hz and hi-pass my Avatar 410Pro. I was assuming there weren't a lot of people doing this since I got so few results through the search :smug: Strictly speaking, the active crossover isn't necessary, but I was always impressed with how much they cleaned up the audio when used in other applications.

Bill: Thanks for the info: I had a DBX 223XL on my list of possibilities. I could actually build a crossover with about $10.00 in parts (minus the case) using opamps and caps but it would be uglier than sin and stuck at the designed x-over frequency. I'm starting to think that throwing out my college texts may have been a mistake :bawl:

- Andrew

5. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    I used to build all my own electronics until about 1995 or so, at that point prices had come down so low that my time was more valuable than it was worth to roll my own. For a crossover two op amps and a handful of caps and resistors does it, but by the time you do a power supply, case, pots and so forth you're up to $100 or more and could have just bought the DBX anyway and saved yourself a couple of days working on it to boot.

6. Good points, forgot about the power supply - although it would be pretty minimal, probably a wall-wart would do for something that small. My electronic design experience is pretty minimal so I'll leave that to the experts... although there is something to be said for DIY.

- Andrew

7. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Rane-nice

8. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    I agree, but for the requirements of bass I think a cheap DBX is fine, and for PA I'd go digital, also DBX (Driverack).

9. I use Rane MX22 because they are pro grade, and cheap/plentiful on eBay.

10. brooklynbassguy

brooklynbassguy Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    You can usually find ashleys on ebay for under $80.

11. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    DBX is cool. Ashley, Symetrix, TDM, etc... Personally I like Rane. They all do the same thing but my experience with Rane has been that to break it, you need a gun...

12. I've used a Rane MX22 for the last 2 gigs and it has worked great. You can pick one up for $60-$80 on Ebay.

I used to use a Rane AC22 and while it was very nice it had way too much for bass application. Still, I wish I had kept it for future PA duty.