1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Active jazz bass bzzzzzzzz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Joshua Phelps, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Joshua Phelps

Joshua Phelps

Feb 22, 2011
    Memphis
    I have a deluxe active jazz bass (mim) that sounded fine until yesterday. I added a badass II bridge & pulled the preamp out for a second & now I'm getting tons of buzz even after changing back to the original bridge. I've shielded the cavity & still bzzzzzzz's like crazy! I'm thinking there is a short somewhere, any opinions on the guys?

2. Joshua Phelps

Joshua Phelps

Feb 22, 2011
    Memphis
    Oh also when I touch the metal on the bass it goes quiet so this is a grounding issue right?

3. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    yep, could be anything from a seperated pot ground, to the 3rd leg on the volume pot not grounding, to the pickups not being grounded to the main earth, to the jack contacting too much of the shielding and fouling the circuit.

4. Joshua Phelps

Joshua Phelps

Feb 22, 2011
    Memphis
    Such a nightmare, this is really cutting into my practice time haha

5. Make sure all your pots and preamp are grounded together and the ground wire runs all the way under the bridge.

I had a similar problem and found that what works out really great is to add a glob of solder to the end of the ground wire and file it down and sand off the chrome plating on the bridge so it makes good ground contact.

Hope you get it fixed!

6. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    You you leave the ground wire under the bridge when you switched it?

It also sounds like you did not connect some grounds back when you removed the preamp, or you have the hot and ground swapped at the jack.