1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

active pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by matthew4414, Oct 11, 2013.

1. matthew4414

matthew4414

Nov 9, 2010
    Lurgan NI
    if the battery powering your pickups is running low will the output of the bass lessen, r does it even work like that lol?

2. surgay

surgay Banned

Sep 27, 2013
    r u a pirate?????????????????????

3. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Yeah, it'll eventually lessen to -0-.

Kinda like most things that run on batteries, active pickups don't work so good with low - or dead - batteries.

Who'da thunk?

Seriously, you'll probably start to hear distortion before you notice reduced volume. And no, it's not a "good" distortion.

4. wideload

wideload

Apr 15, 2004
    Salinas, CA
    I use an active bass, and the falloff seems to be a couple of hours. Tone, not volume. I've noticed (unlike BruceWane) that I get a really nice, mild distortion when the battery is on the way out. It took me a few years too put 2 and 2 together. So when my bass sounds really good, I change the battery!

5. Not really. You just get more distortion.

6. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Active pickups or active EQ circuit? They'll act differently depending on what the actual circuit is. Since I started using active instruments in '79, I've only had one battery issue (the only time I didn't use a Duracell- the "Ever" ready wasn't ready...). They symptom on a pre EB StingRay was distortion, much like a bad solid-state overdrive. Same gain level, but distorted signal.

John

7. Turxile

Turxile

May 1, 2011
    Hmmm... I'm thinking Rechargeable batteries... I'm thinking charging them just a little bit, just enough to give the good sound for you and last the gig...

8. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    ^^^Or a stack of coin batteries @ 7.5 volts or so,
    they'll stay that way for alot longer.