active pj sets available?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mattbass6945, Dec 22, 2012.

1. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    FWIW- a J in the bridge always sounds that way. It has to do with the pickup sensing less string movement.

2. ok, i appreciate that joel. is there another way to get more out of it? possibly a higher output in its place? or is this just an expensive experiment, not worth messing with?

3. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    A good matched P+J set will go a long way. Some Manufacturers usually will make the J a bit hotter than normal by over-winding the coil. This increases the lows and takes off highs. Others might use a different design all together to get to the ball park of a beefier bridge. I'm not convinced fender did this with the deluxe PJ.

If the P pickup works for you; you can always try another J bridge pickup. A Dimarzio Ultra J is one of the hottest J's with the most lows, a slight mid scoop and extended highs. I found that was a good pickup to match a lot of P pickups, but it tended to make the whole bass sound a bit more scoped. Your Fender P will probably be around 10-11k ohms and the ultra J's 12.5k ohm. I'm not sure that made a difference but I was able to get the PJ to sound more JJ like with that pickup. Mind you, It doesn't match well with an overwound P pickup, because then you would have the same problem

The Model PJ set sounded good as well, but the J was quieter than the P (163mV vs 190ishmV).

One trick is to lower the P pickup in relation to the strings and raise the J. However I feel this makes the J give more bite and the P sound more subdued. FWIW this may give you a tone you like, but it may not.

Try these settings for pickup height. Not promising they will work but its a good compromise between standard and a lower P but not too low. make sure you depress the string at the last fret when measuring. I like to use an allen wrench on the pickup poles to do this measurement from pickup to string; but if you have a good eye a ruler could work.

P - 3/32 from the G string
    5/64 from the E string

J - 2mm from the G string
    3/32 from the E string

I think you'd like an EMG PJ set; but you'd probably have to yank your EQ out to install it.

4. wow, thanks man! the allen wrench as a reference point is a great idea.

i like the p and would rather not lower it. maybe i need to replace the j or find a more "matched" set. just another thing to add to my to do list!

thanks again for your help joel!

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021