1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

active sound problems! I'm desperated...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sratas, Feb 17, 2008.

1. sratas

sratas

Dec 15, 2007
    Parma, Italy
    I own a CORT A5 purchased new 7 months ago...and I'm not able to use it in any way! Don't misunderstand me, the bass is well made for the money, with a great playability and a pleasant acoustic tone. The real problem is the amplified tone. No matter how you set the amp or the onboard electronics, the bass retains the basic character producing a very bassy tone with an annoying peak at 40-100 hz that kills every other frequency. the mids are there, so the highs (quite metallic to my ears but this is active sound...), but the boomy big gun does not allow the notes to be intelligible. My amp is a great Markbass rig that sounds clear, balanced and brilliant with other basses. In my opinion the problem is the crappy korean electronics, a full Bartolini MK1 active system. I'm seriously thinking of eliminating the preamp and rewire the PUs in passive mode. It will be better to buy other PUs but I haven'y got enough money for now...need help and advice. The stock MK1 PUs will work without the preamp? How to connect them to the master volume and blend pot and the output jack? please, i'm in a babel...thank you in advance!
    :help:

2. Jazzbassman23

Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Maryland
    You have a couple of options as I see it, and two of them you're probably not going to like. One, and if it was me, I'd get rid of the bass and move on to something different. With all of the choices out there, there's no reason to play something that doesn't sound the way you'd like it to. Two, continue to try to tweak the preamps, both your bass and the amps. I assume you've tried some sort of equalizer, but if not, maybe even an inexpensive one like the Boss might improve the sound. Try one at a local shop. And three, you can do as you suggest, replace the electronics, but there's a possibility that you'll be throwing good money after bad and you still might not be happy. I haven't been able to find a lot out about this bass, what do they sell for?