1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Acupuncture?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassteban, Jul 28, 2012.

1. I searched and found one closed thread consisting mostly of a heated debate over whether chiropractic or acupuncture was worse, so PLEASE only reply if you have firsthand knowledge or experience- thank you.

I have been suffering w/a neuroma, a pinched nerve in the ball of the foot(http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f34/there-podiatrist-house-888042/). Saw a podiatrist, who gave me an inneffectual hydrocortizone injection- after which she recommended *killing the nerve*(her actual words:eek:)w/a series of alcohol injections. I am now researching *other treatments. Any TBers had any good- or bad- results using acupuncture for nerve issues(or anything else)?

2. Brad Hanback

Brad Hanback Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2007
    North Alabama
    I believe in both methods and have had both. Both have helped me for different reasons. I believe I'd first try the chiropractor.

3. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I've never done either, but I am genuinely intrigued by acupuncture. Everyone I know who sees a chiropractor gets addicted to it.

4. I've done chiro- once to address a neck injury, worked fabulously- and later when we applied it to my son's juvenile rheumatoid arthritis(seemed to help, he's largely over it now). Anyway, I only mentioned chiro as it related to the other thread getting closed; wasn't really considering it this time around, although I'll try anything that doesn't involve surgery or other invasive procedures. DON'T want drugs.

Edit: Inadvertant double-post- http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f127/acupuncture-903416/

5. I had six sessions done by an MD (same guy that did my cortisone injections, which also didn't help), and I thought it was a waste of time and money. If you are going to do it, bring headphones, because you just sit there for 20 minutes with the pins in you. It's slightly uncomfortable at first, but never painful.

6. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1 Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    Having had zero experience with Acupuncture, but a fair amount of Chiorpratic care, I would highly recommmend a good Chiorpractor. Pinched nerves are what they live for.

Of course, if you run into one that says he can cure your defective liver by cracking your back ( I actually ran it to one that offered to cure my liver problems diagnosed by a cursory glance at my hands), run for the hills.

I have two Chiorpractors here in Richmond, Va if it is indeed a pinched nerve, would work wonders. The best of the two is also a licensed Physical Therapist as well. That guy can fix just about any ache or pain you can imagine. AS for Cortizone... lie down and avoid it. It will only mask the problem. It will not fix it.

I hope you find a remedy, and soon. Take care.

7. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    I've had acupuncture, massage and chiro at different times over the last ~20 years or so for skeletal issues. Massage and chiro have consistently helped a lot short-term and a little bit long-term.

Acupuncture has been very variable. I've had some folks stick what feels like a thousand needles in me for zero effect and others just stick two in, very precisely, with intense results. My rule of thumb is now to only use acupuncturists who also teach internal martial arts. That's probably overly conservative, but it hasn't failed me so far. If you add "or have 10+ years experience" you'd probably be OK.

(If you find yourself up in SF, I can recommend Grandmaster Doc Fai Wong)

One of the acupuncturists I used to go to was an examiner for a local school. He told me that the standard for a pass is to get the needle anywhere inside a spot the size of a dime but to really make it work well you have to get it within an 1/8" of the ideal spot. (How true that is, I have no idea, but I don't find it that surprising.)

8. Ziltoid

Ziltoid I don't play bass

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    Killing the nerve? That's a very butcher'esque kind of medicine.

9. Thanks, Uncle Fluffy- SF is fairly close; that guy looks legit.

10. To say the LEAST. I was stunned- she got to the end of her spiel and got up to grab a hypo- she was ready! The kicker was the disappointed look on her face when I said *not just yet, beesch*- not in so many words, of course, although I think it would've been entirely appropriate.

11. My old man is was a fairly senior physiotherapist. He did some accu training and used it in some cases where physio didn't seem to be working. Even if it was just a placebo, it worked, and apparently pretty well on some locked joints. The philosophy with accu is pretty cool, though fairly removed from the modern medical understanding. Never tried it, but would certainly be game for it.

Chiro is a bit different in the UK from the US I believe, not much in the way of training is required and it has been seen to do more damage. Also not a fan of the philosophy, where everything, even common colds, are caused by back problems... I've had non-chiro manipulation in the past, certainly helped short term.

But if it works for you, why not?

12. If the problem is the nerve and not the nerve being triggered by something else (ie inflammation), then I don't see killing it off as a problem.

13. acubass

acubass

Oct 10, 2007
    Albuquerque, NM
    I am in acupuncture school I see results on a daily basis from our patients, sometimes instant.. I am obviously very biased about it. But that being said there is much research on acupuncture and all of it points to it working on many levels. There was a BBC documentary recently on acupuncture (which is on YouTube) and they found via MRI that acupuncture shuts down the portion of your brain that deals with pain. This was interesting to us because we assumed it activated parts of the brain. Acupuncture no longer tries to touch nerves with needles, it is damaging and not good. Also MD's who do acupuncture usually take weekend seminars and don't really know good acupuncture.

I was at a seminar today that deals with using electricity on a needle, called E-Stim. Tests show that it can increase ATP production in that area by 400% to increase healing.

There is another documentary call 9,000 needles that is very good to watch.

14. kesh

kesh

Jul 9, 2012
    Brighton, England
    I had chiro, which did nothing and was a waste of money, and acupuncture from a physio, which was free on the NHS and seemed to help. Both for the same neck/shoulder pain.

15. My grandmother and aunt have had acupuncture and something where the person just presses on pressure points in the feet and ears and other spots.

Both has worked for them concerning pain and other issues.

But the pressure point thing (acupressure maybe) they say works better for them long term.

I've always wanted to have one or the other done to relieve stress and to feel better, but I think I might just need a good massage. lol

16. DanAleks

DanAleks Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Here's something VERY IMPORTANT you need to know about acupuncture - if you go to an MD, they quite often have a 3 - 5 day "training" in acupuncture, as opposed to an acupuncturist who has had REAL TRAINING.

Please don't go to an MD for this. Go to someone with lengthy training and experience.

Acupuncture worked for me.

17. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    merged threads and cleaning up...

18. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    The disc between my L5 and S1 vertebrae is completely gone, a result of years of abuse loading gear. I was told I was a "perfect candidate" for spinal fusion surgery, but I was really concerned about the rehab. I literally tried every other option (including 2 years of chiropractic care). Finally, I tried acupuncture, and it literally gave me my life back.

I highly recommend it, with the caveat of doing traditional Chinese acupuncture, not the selective kind that some chiropractors do here.

19. DrayMiles

DrayMiles

Feb 24, 2007
    East Coast
    I have had two Acupuncture sessions in the last month and they did relieve the pain. The pain returned, eventually... and I learned that I have a herniated disc. To me, there is a benefit, and it does work.. But my God, it ain't cheap!

20. Mysterion

Mysterion

Jan 10, 2012
    I've had many acupuncture sessions, with a handful of different practitioners. Some have been better than others, and the best have been life-changing; no other treatment has been as effective for chronic pain.

Most has been traditional Chinese Meridian-style. I've also had UCLA (medical) style, which was less effective. If you see a traditional type, you may want to ask if s/he uses moxha (sp?) which are small, burning bundles of herbs on the end of strategically placed needles. Not all practitioners use them--I've found the mild heat they conduct very soothing.

FWIW, I've also had nerves "killed," though with catheterized injections of liquid nitrogen. The procedure worked okay, but the nerves grew back, and the pain returned. I had it done a second time, and they grew back again.

Good luck whatever you do! If you decide to go for the needles, be prepared to feel pretty wiped out afterward--relaxed, and maybe a bit rubbery.