Adam Yauch was great!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Mrmatt1972, Feb 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. The Beastie Boys were faaaaaar better than they get credit for and Adam was a bass monster. So many stylistic and sonic variations inside every single album! I have Check Your Head on tonight. My daughter (16) pops her head in and says "Is that the Beastie Boys?" Like she can't believe her old man is still a little cool.

Anyway, discuss...

When I was young I never had any curiosity about his gear or technique. Someone here must know.

p-ripper, GregC, saabfender and 5 others like this.
  2. Fingerbottom

Fingerbottom

Jan 21, 2018
    Los Angeles
    If I remember correctly, on the inside cover for Check Your Head, there's a photo of the Beasties in their studio. Adam's bass is visible. Can't recall what model it was, but there's a large Peavey stack behind him. I'm sure you can find the image online.

I was a big fan of his bass playing early in my bass playing life. To be honest, I'm surprised your 16yo daughter knows who they are. They're kind of like the Stones of my generation. Makes me feel not so old!

p-ripper likes this.
  3. Fingerbottom

Fingerbottom

Jan 21, 2018
    Los Angeles
    IMG_2525.JPG

I believe he played upright bass, too!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    GregC likes this.
  4. Plake

Plake Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2010

5. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Quite the trippy groove...I dig it!

TheMinutemen likes this.
  6. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I know he primarily favored a 70’s Jazz Bass. He’s one of my musical heroes for sure.

GregC and Mrmatt1972 like this.
  7. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    My band used to cover Sabotage. Even though I could get pretty close to his tone, I still can't nail his technique for it.

TheDayMan likes this.
  8. Brio

Brio

Mar 10, 2013
    Kansas City
    I started playing bass about 5 years ago so there was all kinds of music I listened to as a kid/teen that I had to go back and listen to with fresh "bass player" ears. Beasties were certainly near the top of that list.

Gratitude is another fun one to play.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    GregC and Mrmatt1972 like this.
  9. Alonso Quijano

Alonso Quijano

Jun 30, 2013

DirtDog and Mrmatt1972 like this.
  10. inthevelvet

inthevelvet Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2012
    Washington DC
    Good stuff!

11. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I’m a fan. Really started digging them as musicians - esp MCA - when I heard In Sound from Way Out! That was the soundtrack in my office circa 1997.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  12. jmela

jmela

Jul 24, 2007
    Spector NS-2 with the paint blasted off of it and some skate stickers.

GregC likes this.
  13. Kriegs

Kriegs

Feb 14, 2018
    Adam Yauch's Equipboard

Great site to look up musicians' set ups =)

GregC likes this.
  14. Old thread, I know, but Yauch is one of my bass idols (and music idols, in general). The other one is Colin Greenwood. Both are all about the groove and the little details that make a bassline interesting without overdoing it. I'm really enjoying playing Beastie Boys instrumentals like Sabrosa, Suco de Tangerina, Futterman's Rule, etc., and they're perfect for my level (pretty much still a beginner).

I strongly recommend the Beastie Boys Book for any fan. It gives you quite a great insight on Yauch's fearless artistic process and how a band should ideally be (in my opinion): a bunch of friends having fun making music with no compromise.

Joshua likes this.
  15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021