1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Adding a 610 cab to a 210 combo?...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by theFALLEN, Mar 9, 2010.

1. theFALLEN

theFALLEN

Jul 29, 2009
    Hi guys,

Searched through the amplification forum to see if this question had already been addressed but didn't find anything, if it already has then please be gentle....:eek:

Basically, I am wondering if you guys from your experience could advise me as to the best course of action as to upgrading my rig which DESPERATELY needs to happen.

I am currently playing in an Avenged Sevenfold/Killswitch Engage esq. band in the Uk through an Ashdown 500 ABM EVO III 210 Combo. I am wanting to upgrade my equipment with the aim of getting more headroom and a much "larger" powerful sound.

I was investigating adding a 610 quality cabinet such as : http://www.electromusic.co.uk/Ashdown-USA-610.html

However, I am not sure if this will achieve my aims...

Can anyone advise if they think this will be effective?

EDIT: I realise that purchasing a more powerful head/bigger cabinet would achieve this from the offset however I am wanting to explore the possibility of the 610 cab to minimize costs.

Thanks guys.

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The problem lies in impedance matching. For your combo and extension speakers to have a good power balance they would need a 3:1 impedance ratio, so if the 210 is 8 ohms you'd want a 2.7 ohm 610, assuming you can find a 2.7 ohm 610. A four ohm 410 would also match well. This all assumes that your current speaker set is 8 ohms and that the amp can handle a 2 ohm load.

3. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    You're in the UK ? So things are a little different product wise. still, If I were you consider keeping your combo amp for practice and maybe upgrade to a head as well.The Ashdown cab looks real nice! I went on the site you linked and was viewing the Ashdown heads (looks nice) ...how about Ashdown Labs Little Giant 1000?
    I don't know prices across the pond but I prefer Ampeg such as the svt4Pro and their cabs but its your call...good luck:cool:

4. If you have ~£850 to throw away, I'd stay looking elsewhere mate.

I've seen a '69 SVT and '72 Ampeg 810 (both in good condition) go for £750 on ebay. Marshall VBA400 and VBC412 cab go for £500.

My current setup (Ampeg SVT-II and Marshall 810 cab) cost me ~£800-£850.

Basically I'm trying to say you could get a damned good setup for that price. Look used, get a head and cab setup, keep the combo if you want for smaller requirements.

I also wouldn't say that 610 is a good way of minimizing costs :p

EDIT:

Also, could be worth while having a shop around. A lot of good bass stuff out there, Ampeg, Peavey, Trace Elliot, Marshall & Orange are all pretty big sellers over here.

5. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    Cheapest would be to get an Ashdown EVO ABM 210 8 ohm cab. That would get the full 500 watts from your combo and give you more speaker surface area. Your combo's only good for 4 ohms, so that's the best you can do with it. If you need more than that you need to look at larger cabs and heads or a better PA. Good luck.

6. jamzcl

jamzcl

Jul 21, 2004
    Des Moines, IA USA
    I've run my Ampeg BA500 into my 610HLF and I think it sounds awesome.

The BA500 can take a 4 ohm extension cab -- it's then getting the full 500 watts into eight 10" speakers.

I wouldn't use this setup very often...only local gigs that don't have PA assistance.

7. Newb alert: How do you work out this ratio? Since you need equal power going to each driver, I guess you'll need one-third the impedance in a 6x10? As opposed to half for a 4x10?

8. As far as I read it, you've answered your own question!

You have 3 times as many speakers in the 2x10 as the 6x10. So for each driver to be getting an equal share of the power, you'd need 1/4 to go to the 210 and 3/4 to go to the 6x10. To get 3 times more power going to the 610 than the 210.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 24, 2020