1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Adding a pre/post DI switch to a LMII

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zenrad, May 3, 2010.

1. zenrad

zenrad Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Bergen County, NJ
    I had my LMII open the other day to move the jumper on the PCB that controls whether the DI out is pre or post EQ. I noticed that there's a small plate covering a hole on the back of the chassis that's held on by two screws. That hole seems like it would be a prefect location to place an SPST switch that would do the job of the jumper. Has anyone done this? It seems like it would work without problems, but I could be wrong.

2. As a serious question - just how many times do you open up your amp to change the DI settings????

Paul

3. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Funny, I had thought about the same possibility as the OP when I first got my LMII...and then I asked myself the above question...the answer was not often enough...

Kim

4. zenrad

zenrad Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Bergen County, NJ
    So far twice. For the amp's first live gig I had switched it to pre EQ, in my home studio I like to go post EQ.

They added the switch to the LMIII, and there's a hole in the back just waiting for it. Many heads have the option. Even if I don't use it often, for the small amount of effort and 15 minutes of my time it would take to pop a pushbutton switch in there it would be worth it.

5. Then go ahead and do so. It's your amp do as you wish but be prepared for a voided warranty.

Paul

6. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Make a new plate and don't cut any wires (uses spade connectors as I remember) and it will be our little secret

7. philter25

philter25

Mar 26, 2010
    Germantown, MD
    Im only suggesting this because I just posted the same thing in another thread...... why not keep your amp at post eq, and then if you have a gig and need it pre eq, why not plug into a simple rolls db25 before going into your amp? They cost 25 bucks or something like that.

For warranty purposes, I could justify spending 25 bucks to keep it intact and that way you have post eq on your amp and then a portable pre-eq box that you can plug into when needed.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    it's your amp and it probably would be a very easy mod, so why not?

9. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I've been thinking about this, too.

I have a Precision that I play with the EQ flat, but my Jazz requires a bit of EQ'ing, which often is not the sound the soundman prefers. I would love to be able to switch from PRE EQ to post with a switch. . .

10. zenrad

zenrad Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Bergen County, NJ
    If I can get the little cover off of that extra hole I'll do it. Out of curiosity last night I removed the two little screws on the cover but it didn't come off - I'll have to open it up and take a closer look. If I have to drill a small hole, well, it wouldn't be the first time I drilled holes in an amp chassis for a switch. At this point it's just a matter of getting the little spade connector and deciding whether to use shielded wire or not. I'll take photos for the curious if I do it.