1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

adding a tweeter to a cab without

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by synterx, Apr 27, 2009.

1. synterx

synterx

Jan 24, 2005
    Illinois
    Is that a major hassle? 15" cabinet, has plenty of room to add one. It's a 4 ohm cab now. Could I buy one and throw it in a hole I cut? Do any tweeters have builtin crossovers to ease in wiring? don't know how a 1 x 15" cab would sound without a tweet. I haven't played through the cab yet, trying to decide if I should buy it or not. Just for practice purposes really.

2. TheVoiceless

TheVoiceless

Jun 11, 2008
    New Jersey
    Tweeters are not a good idea in bass cabs. Save the hassle and trouble. Add some 10's. Tweeters are easily blown and add a shrill more then sweet high end. PLEASE reconsider.

3. synterx

synterx

Jan 24, 2005
    Illinois
    What are you talking about? Every friggin' bass cabinet I've ever owned has had a tweeter. Genz, SWR, Peavey, Epifani, Berg, they all have them. It's a 15" bass cabinet, there is no room to add a 10"er, good grief.

We are talking about a Peavey 115 BVX bass cabinet. It has one 15" and a round port on the front. I'm assuming they were designed to go under their 210 and 410 cabs. Thus, no tweeter needed. But I want to use it as a stand alone cab just for practices. If it doesn't cut it, I simply want to know if adding a tweeter/horn, whatever you want to call it, is possible. I know there is a crossover to deal with, but I'm hoping some aftermarket tweeters have something build in so I can literally drill a hole, mount the tweet, wire it up in parallel or series, what have you, and be done.

4. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

You need a crossover that's designed for a 4-ohm system. I don't know if you'll find a 4-ohm horn, however. Most tweeters don't come with the crossover, because the crossover has to work with your woofer.

Next question is where does one cross over? 1KHz? 2KHz? 3.5K? Depends on the woofer. Peavey may be able to suggest a crossover frequency for that cab/woofer. If not, you have nothing to go on.

Cutting the hole is a pain: remove woofer, remove interior padding, cut hole, clean up cab, replace everything. Make sure the tweeter hole is airtight and allows no air leaks at all.

It's a lot of work, especially the part about finding the proper crossover.

5. synterx

synterx

Jan 24, 2005
    Illinois
    That's what I was wondering. I guess I'll just take a chance that one 15" speaker is good enough. Thanks.

6. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I may be wrong, but I read that Piezo tweeter ohmage is so low that you don't need to worry about them. I have added Radio Shack piezos to a couple of el cheapo combos with good results. I didn't put any kind of attenuator or crossover on them, got a hole saw and wired them in.

7. jarrod cunningham

jarrod cunningham

Apr 24, 2007
    sylacauga alabama
    spector basses
    yeah i was thinking about a piezo also ... i have some older peavey monitors with a 15 and piezo tweeter , no crossover , i disconnected the attenuator and it sounds great ... and i have played bass through it at low volumes ... i think youll be fine for practice ...

8. Jedisan

Jedisan

Feb 25, 2009
    East Bay, CA
    You are indeed correct that a piezo tweeter does not need a crossover. I would recommend adding a L-pad to attenuate the tweeter if need be.

9. gregoire1

gregoire1

Oct 19, 2008
    Nashville
    Wow, I'm a little surprised at the tweeter hostility here. It's not that big a job. You can get piezo (don't kill me, I'm just saying) for $1, cut a 3 inch hole, wire it DIRECTLY to your bass speaker (its technically not a woofer but a semi-full range speaker), it doesn't have to have a cross-over or even really have to be in phase (polarity).

Or go all out, buy a compression driver (eminence apt-80), do the same thing.

But,

I do recomend you add a toggle (on off) switch on the panel because you'll probably end up like me and just leave it off (unless you slap)

...let the hate mail begin...

10. synterx

synterx

Jan 24, 2005
    Illinois
    I guess if the 15" black widow in the cab is kind of full range, I won't need it. The peavey specs say they go up to like 3.5hz. Not sure, but that doesn't sound very high, sounds like a mid and below spec? I'm no hz expert.

11. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    That's how I did it. It all started because using a CD player through the amp sucked. There were no highs. A simple piezo did the trick.

12. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    It seems like the general rule, around TB at least, with a typical 15" is to cross it over at around 800 hz to a midrange since when it "beams" you won't hear any upper mids above that unless you stand directly in front of it.

If you like the way typical two way 15" cabs sound, even though they're "technically inferior", you could just go by the manufacturer spec on whatever tweeter you use, and cross it over at 3.5 Khz or so. Compression drivers could be crossed lower, but an Eminence APT80 is not a compression driver.

http://www.diyaudioandvideo.com/Calculator/XOver/

The void that exists in most bass cabs between anywhwere from 1.2k to 3.5K before the tweeter kicks in never really bothered me much, personally, since that's what I'm used to hearing. TO EACH THEIR OWN, though.

13. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

I have an old Peavey w/2-15 Black Widows. I added 2 tweets and I think the cabinet kills. Do it!! You know you want to!

14. Wow this thread got off to a rough start.I agree with putting a 5" or 6" driver in.I have a 2x12 cab with a 6" 18sound and it sounds great.
    There is plenty of knowledge here to help you out with it if you have a few tools.
    Steve

15. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Not because it's the best way to do it, but because it's the cheapest. :eyebrow:
    Add a six or eight midrange, use the same recommended driver/crossover as outlined in the fEarful DIY cab thread.