1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Advice for amp / cab setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassjamn, Apr 10, 2015.

1. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Recently i started playing in a metal band and need to get my rig reconfigured.
    looks like my eden wt550 + schroeder 21210 can barely keep up, (master was at 75% volume). I dont like running it that high, so i am thinking of adding a second cab

I also have a QSC 1600 power amp in storage, thinking i might also just find a used pre-amp and use that with the schroeder 212010

Current setup
    Eden wt550
    Schroeder 1210 @ 4ohms
    + get a new/used 8 ohm cab
    So run the Eden at either 2.6 ohms or 2 ohms

Or

QSC 1600
    schroeder 1210 @ 4ohms
    + get a new/used pre-amp

Which would you guys suggest?

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Why not use the Eden's preamp to run the poweramp. Eden head on a (new) cab, line out from Eden preamp OUT to poweramp and Schroe cab?

bradjonesbass and iualum like this.
  3. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Did you really expect that single box to do the trick :roflmao: ? Pumping the QSC RMS into your cab won't do anything but destroy the cab. You need more displacement, regardless which amp you use. If you're going to keep the Schroeder, you don't want an 8-ohm box. You want another 4-ohm. Best bet would be another 1210 if you like it & if you think that'd be enough volume. Otherwise, you need to go in a different cab direction. An 810. Two 410s. Two 15/6s. Something along those lines.

AstroSonic likes this.
  4. This:
    Adding the QSC will just lead to cab meltdown. You need multiple cabs with a total impedance that is the lowest your amp will handle (ensures max power from your amp)... and hearing protection. Seriously.

5. I'm as big a fan of small rigs as anybody, but in that kind of band, you need to push more paper and probably more wattage. Depending on your budget, 1000 watts, pushing 412s or 610s.

Get an Ampeg SVP and use your QSC, then look for a used 810 in your area, or if you want to shell out some bucks, an Aguilar GS412, Bergantino NV610, something along those lines.

6. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Thanks for the info gents, the schroeder cabs are actually rated to handle 1000 watts, i used to run the QSC bridged into it.
    But i agree more cabs is probably the way to go, off to search the classifieds

7. mrufino1

mrufino1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ

Or just have everyone turn their volume down. A friend who plays in a pretty well known metal band tells me his amps onstage are very quiet and are pretty much there for looks, his in ears do the work. He also told me the guitarist is super loud. But it's all going in the PA, which is generally pretty massive.

8. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I don't play in a metal band, but have a similar problem. I am currently running 3 boxes all 8Ohms and a stable SWR Bass 750. Boxes all are matching 12's. Not much headroom and am having issues with the pre. I am thinking about a 4Ohm 610 SWR or the NV610 and going with a QSC PLX2502 for power and adding a pre of some sort. Should push enough then