1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

advice needed: resurrect eden wt800 or move on?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by damien gonzalez, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Hi all,

this has been an amazingly useful resource and i'm hoping for some assisitance. I have a doa eden wt-800 head that has both power output modules have shorted output transistors. Repairing it will require replacing both transistors, drivers, and a few resistors on each module. Estimated cost is around 400.00. Looking at Craigslist there are a couple options for replacement amp heads like a markbass little mark tube 800 and a portaflex 800 for around 100.00 more than the cost of repairs.

while i loved my eden i'm wondering if it's worth fixing or not. it does weigh a ton and the newer heads are much lighter. Is this like asking if it's worth restoring the vintage ferrari vs opting for a more modern porsche?

the repair guy commented on how the new class D amplifiers aren't really repairable like the hybrid amps and all tube models are.

btw i was running the amp in bridged mono mode into the eden 410xlt for most of its life. not sure if i caused the destruction of the head or it was just time for it to go.

any and all feedback and advice is welcome!

2. JimChjones

JimChjones

Aug 6, 2017
    SE England
    Kind of yes, except your using the car for everyday transport and you wouldn't want to do that with a vintage Ferrari!
    But happily amps are smaller than cars and it doesn't cost you to keep a second amp...
    The question I suppose is whether other stuff is likely to go on the amp in future and it's going to be expensive to run or no. Is that predictable people?

3. They are not as "easy" to replace parts as with old tube amps but can still be repaired.

This is like an Automotive Mechanic that only services cars pre 90's because they became more complicated than he wants to deal with, so he bad mouths them calling them unserviceable. Yet many Mechanics are servicing and repairing cars that are only three years old all the time. It is the biggest market for a Mechanic.

He just needs the updated skills, tools and attitude for the job.

agedhorse likes this.
  4. jdthebassman

jdthebassman

Jul 11, 2010
    I would go with a quilter bass block 800

5. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    That sounds like a pretty major melt down. One concern is repairs don't always hold, so you may spend the money only for the amp to melt down again if the technician doesn't catch something. I have never worked on an Eden amp, so I have no idea how difficult they are to service. Something to keep in mind if you get the amp fixed is there are multiple versions of the WT800 (a,b,c). I believe the "a" version could only be bridged down to 8 ohms, but later ones were safe to 4 ohms.

The other thing to consider is how much you love the amp and whether you can easily replace it with something else. If you really love the sound, spend the cash to repair the amp. Otherwise find an amp you like better and move on. Plenty of used Edens on the market.

Haroldo and agedhorse like this.
  6. MordBass

MordBass

Nov 1, 2017
    Midwest
    If the size of the unit isnt important to you.... about $300ish can get you a Used WP100 Preamp from eden that you can then pair with whichever power amp you choose. Its definitely the Eden tone with more options than anything else.

7. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    The question about if the amp is worth repairing is something that you will have to decide for yourself... is it worth it to YOU. You might also verify that the repair has a warranty, if not then I would be VERY wary.

As far as class D amps nor being repairable, sorry your tech is full of crap on this. While generally the power amp module is not "repaired at the component level", it' is generally easy to replace for a competent tech who understands diagnostics.

As an example, I just repaired a 900 watt class D amp for a forum member that needed a new power module. The total cost of the repair was $300 INCLUDING shipping and 90 day warranty, that's over $100 less than your tech's estimate to repair your "repairable" amp.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  8. I would put the $400 towards a new head or a second hand Eden that is still in good condition. All things come to an end sometime and putting money into an old piece of electronics might only keep it going until the next component reaches end of life. Once I realised which particular amps I preferred I simply bought a few spares cheaply secondhand so I wouldn't need to have them repaired when the time comes. I see a lot of excellent condition Eden amps popping up for less than $400.

9. thanks all for your thoughts! i did love the amp very much though at this point i'm also interested in moving on. Yes, i think the repair person favors tradition and it's easier for them to work on vintage gear. I picked the wt-800 originally because it was my "plug in and play" sound. I'm also open to embracing new technologies and evolution (without falling for the latest trends i hope). I'm also a gemini and thus terrible at making decisions...

The thought of having a lighter, smaller rig is very attractive as well, though it's really all about the sound (thank god i haven't played through an ampeg svt-cl with 8x10 lately)

10. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    I find it kind of funny that techs think it's easier and faster to work on "vintage" gear, yet struggle with achieving reasonable turnaround times. Every repair that I do involving the "newfangled" class D amps is 48 hour turnaround time, so I don't see how their argument holds water. Call me puzzled...

11. it's been quite the ordeal finding a repair person to work on this amp. there's been a roadblock about not having access to the schematic unless it's given to the repair person by marshall (who bought eden a while back). funny, i found it online no problem so i suspect someone was being lazy and didn't want the business...