1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Advice on a gig able rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bass17, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Bass17

Bass17

Apr 26, 2018
    hey, I am looking for a gigable rig. I am currently looking at the Behringer ultra bass 300 watt head with an acoustic b410c classic 400 watt cab. Any recommendations?

2. Hundred proof

Hundred proof

Apr 22, 2018
    THAT covers a lot of ground ... most of my gigs are smaller to medium clubs with no PA support, a 350 watt @8ohms Markbass LM II into a 1x15 cab that's relatively efficient. Playing everything from old school blues to 70s blues/rock, guitar player using a 1x12 combo and I have all the volume/power I need, your mileage may very.

javi_bassist likes this.
  3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

you're looking in the right direction. your choices will work!

just know that the behringer amp will only produce about 180 watts into that 8-ohm cab. however, your choices also give you room to "grow" if/when you add another 8-ohm cab...but by then you may want more power!

good luck....because it never ends! :D

Wisebass and eriky4003 like this.
  4. JRA speaks the truth but may depend on the makeup of your band. If it's a metal band, 180 watts may not be sufficient with a pounding metal drummer and 2 guitarists with 100 watt double-stacks. I'm sure the cab will be fine (lift it up so it's closer to your ears) but the amp may not be able compete.

5. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Very much depends on situation, with the situation being what venues you'll be playing, what genre your band plays, whether you'll have PA support and how sensible other band members are with their volume. So, without being funny, the answer is 'it depends'. Last Saturday I played without any amp, last night I was in a field at a leery biker rally and 1200W through 2 hyper-efficient, cutting edge cabs was appropriate.

Unless you can be a little more specific as to what a 'gig' means to you, then I'm going to suggest that setup may be a little quiet. The cab looks good, but 180W sounds a little low, especially as Behringer have a tendency to be liberal with their power ratings anyway. If you could move up to something like a 500W head (that would mean around 300W into an 8R cabinet) then you'd be golden. Doubling power would give you 3dB more headroom, which can be significant when you're almost loud enough with an amp like that Behringer.

A little later down the line you could get another one of those cabinets (keep an eye out second hand) and then you've got a 500W 8x10" for the big gigs and the half stack for the little gigs. Then you're golden.

6. Bass17

Bass17

Apr 26, 2018
    Thanks guys. I will look at different amp heads. Any suggestions?

7. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Depends where you are! In merry old England Ashdown and Peavey can be had very cheap, but we don't have Traynor for instance. I simply cannot believe how cheap Ashdown is over here at the moment, in my experience its some of the best mass produced gear around and I've seen MAG heads and 8x10" cabs for less than £300. The top-flight ABM range is barely more expensive.

8. Bass17

Bass17

Apr 26, 2018
    I live in Michigan if that helps

9. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    We need to stop these thoroughly useless responses. No attack on you specifically, JRA. It's really as helpful as mentioning to Stephanie Soccer Mom that she's gonna need a CUV with at least 180 hand pounds of horse torque to haul her three future accountants and their friends around.

"just know that the behringer amp will only produce about X decibels at twenty feet with that 8-ohm cab." is a lot less useless to 99% of musicians (who prob can google that classic db chart that shows how many db a restaurant at 6pm is and how many a db 747 taking off gives to fifty feet away, along with a bunch of other real-world comparos).

@Bass17 recommendation: Fender rumble... I think the 410 combo is called the 500? Jazz, country, rock. It works, sounds pretty good even if you don't know how to EQ, comes with a great warranty (KEY! Cheap isht breaks.), they actually don't break down very often (check the Rumble Club thread out here), it's way louder than that Behringer will be with almost any sensible set of cabs, and it is in aboot the same pricepoint that you're looking at. Gnome sayn.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  10. JimChjones

JimChjones

Aug 6, 2017
    SE England
    Is there a more useful one possible? Agree with your premise, watts are a measure of volume like horsepower is a measure of speed, but how many folk here could tell you what dB they require their amp to deliver even without going into all the complications of measurement at different frequencies?

MattZilla likes this.
  11. JRA

i take no specific, personal offense re: your post.

the uselessness of my comments were directed at the OP, whose thinking/assumptions/experience/knowledge are not known by me. the comment you quoted was meant as a 'reminder' as behringer markets the piece as 300 watts (4 ohms in small print) while his cabinet choice is 8 ohm.

'stopping useless comments' on TB = :laugh:

Wisebass likes this.
  12. TerenceE

TerenceE Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2015
    Your budget would help

13. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    I was a little drunk after a 50mi bike ride, I probably should've put the phone away :)

@JimChjones pretty simple stuff here. IMG_0354.PNG
    Less simple, as you alluded to, is documenting in an easy reference guide á la fuelly.com, but not wasting space or effort with pink noise and spectrometers (So How Accurate Are These Smartphone Sound Measurement Apps? | | Blogs | CDC), just max db at low E, if one can, low B, and if one feels like it, low F#.

So @Bass17, now that this thread is offa the rails, what kind of gigs do you need it for- just loud enough to overcome talkers (70db), or loud enough that construction workers can say "dam, thass loud" (100db)?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    JRA likes this.
  14. JRA

adrenalin highs are cool. i used to have them myself. :D

15. JimChjones

JimChjones

Aug 6, 2017
    SE England
    I'm well familiar with decibels charts like the one you show, less familiar with how they relate to the knobs on my bass amp or what I need to be heard on stage with any given drummer.

16. portpc

portpc

May 31, 2011
    I would avoid Behringer/Bugera gear as their reliability is questionable. It's cheap for a reason.

Joedog likes this.
  17. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I'm not sure why you think the rig you mention isn't gigable. So this info might be on target of a 100 miles away. Depending on the band and gig I can choose between either 700 watts and 2 210's or 500 watts and 2 112's. And sometimes I switch the amps around. They cover everything from very loud to home rehearsal.