1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Advice on backup vocals

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by clutebass, Aug 20, 2012.

1. clutebass

clutebass

Jan 15, 2010
    Cincinnati
    Hey guys, hope this is in the right place. Anyway, I just joined a band I am really excited about and they have asked me to contribute back up vocals so that all 5 members will be contributing on instruments and vocals. I am capable of singing back ups no problem, and capable of singing and playing. My problem lies in lack of experience. I have never sung in a live band setting. So I was just coming to you guys to see if you have any advice for boosting my confidence and doing a decent job supplying back ups with the other 3 singers who aren't singing lead. Thanks!

2. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Just make sure you can hear yourself in your monitor. So long as you can hear yourself you can sing, and you'll learn to use the mic as you go.

Next step is learning to sing harmonies. Fun and often challenging, especially if your singer's range is similar to your own but broader (which all the singers I back are!).

3. If you can play and sing, you're better than 50% of the way there.
    Really, you'll need to be with the band to see where you slot in on the harmonies. You would do yourself a big favour by knowing the lyrics and the melody so you can contribute right away. As already mentioned, you need to hear yourself so buy a good mic (at a minimum - Shure Beta 58 or EV 767) and make sure you're going to have a monitor or can easily hear one.
    Once the harmonies are decided, practice playing your instrument and singing.

4. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Just do it a lot and make sure you can hear yourself. The more you do it the better you'll get at it. You're already ahead of the game if you can play bass and sing at the same time. When singing I try to let my hands stay on autopilot. It's when I think about what I'm playing that my singing starts to follow the bass lines and patterns.
    It's not easy...but some players make it look easy.

5. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    It's really good to practice just the vocals with the band; that is, all singers singing without playing instruments. It's so cool to hear a band practicing vox a capella style.

- Good luck.