Advice on choosing a bridge pickup to install on my EB0

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by blue4, Mar 10, 2018.

1. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    I'm looking for recommendations for a new pickup. I already have a Dimarzio Model One installed and I'm not sure what to pair with it. It needs to be black.

20170628_115756.jpg

Any suggestions appreciated.

Nebula24 likes this.
  2. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    So, you’re obviously going to route the body for the bridge pickup. Without knowing what your sonic goals are, I have two suggestions-

1 - Another Dimarzio Model One. It will look pretty cool, balance fairly well with the neck pickup, and add that extra presence that a bridge pickup provides.

2 - A Dimarzio Model J. It’s a little more aggressive option that will help to provide some cut in the mix.

I’ve seen both of these mods done on EB basses, so maybe try an interweb search for some reviews.

3. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    My initial thought was another model one, but I'm not sure that it would give as much of a variety like a single coil would. My goal is to be able to brighten the tone up a bit, depending on who's PA setup I'm using. Some make it sound too dark as it sits now.

Slater likes this.
  4. Nebula24

Nebula24

Nov 23, 2017
    Norman, OK
    Ive got a stock eb0. Plan on doing the model one soon.

Have thought about putting an allparts musicman instead of skinny minibucker. No idea what would sound like together but figure i could just switch between the 2. Also saw cheap china rickenbacker hb set on ebay i could use for bridge. If dont like it can always just keep for looks.

[Id probably pick better quality but same style if was playing in front of people but its just me and my ears]

Would be a while before i do it though. Want model one a while to see what sounds i get there. Just a bedroom player but like modding things.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    blue4 likes this.
  5. dByron

dByron

Mar 10, 2018
    Guild Bisonic? It's black and chrome. I have a pair in an Epi Rivoli...sounds great.

blue4 and Nebula24 like this.
  6. I have the same exact bass as you except my Supertone is chrome and by adjusting the tone and volume pots I’m able to get a wide range of tones . Currently strung with chromes, I love the sound with the Model 1. If you must add a bridge pickup another 1 would be my first choice. I saw (but didn’t hear or play) a Gibson SG and it exuded a Wal vibe with the dual pups. A Model J would be my second but viable choice. Let us know what you do and of course post pics.

Might as well add push pull pots and take advantage of the coil split option on the Model 1 for even more variety.

7. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    I enjoy the model one. The only problem I have is that the EB0 (and the problem is much much worse with the stock EB0 pickup IMO) can be tricky to get sounding good when you're using an unfamiliar setup, like at an open mike. I'm hoping a bridge pickup will allow me to have more control. Plus, I just want one lol, and I'd maybe like to do something off the beaten path. I've looked at a lot of modded stuff online and the vast majority of the people mod their EB0s exactly like a SG.

Nebula24 likes this.
  8. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    I didnt think of adding push pull pots. I will definitely do that. Thank you for the suggestion.

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  9. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    I built one bass with a Model One at the bridge. That bass also had a Model One in the middle position. It sounded like crap, but that could have been due to the woods used. I might try it again with a different body, but I doubt it.

For your bass, I’d route for a standard guitar-sized humbucker and install a Wilde L90. I have another bass with two of them, and they’re absolutely amazing: thick and beefy, but with the upper-end clarity that all Wilde pickups are famous for. Plus the price makes them a steal!

Whatever you choose, don’t put it right up against the bridge; I feel you lose too much low end if you do. Been there, done that...

blue4 likes this.
  10. Nebula24

Nebula24

Nov 23, 2017
    Norman, OK
    Ive thought about a guild since its got the chrome ring [wish model one wasnt all black]. But pricier than model one and probably needs a bit of work to fit. Hard decision.

Anyone know what a sidewinder sounds like near bridge/middle? What if one kept og neck sidewinder and added one to bridge area for double chrome?

Just for me so not big deal if not greatest sound. Will still probably go with mm style one day.

I always liked chrome on my bmx/flatland bikes as a kid. :)

11. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Lace BassBar is another excellent choice. Bonus, it comes in black or chrome, so you can choose!

12. Nebula24

Nebula24

Nov 23, 2017
    Norman, OK
    Thanks. Mines a long term project. Rewarding myself every so often with an upgrade for sticking with playing.

Played in college until it went mostly in closet and retaking it up in 40s with an eb0 i fell in love with while my kid was taking guitar lessons. Liked it over bronco and mikro they had in stock. Been able to try a g2202 and mustang but still prefer eb0 neck. Still want to try a ignition club or rumblekat...and real sg to judge upgrade worth [anything i try will probably stay wayless than sg anyway].

Probably keep her as its fine how it is just got the upgrade itch. Dont have greatest ears or needs so fine stock but ive always been into mods [computer upgrading/tweaks and flatland bikes]. I'll probably be happy with anything cuz im at least playing. :)

ctmullins likes this.
  13. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Personally I don't know a thing about them, but a friend of mine collected several Gibby EB's and he replaced all the pups with Mightey Mites. He absolutely swore by them.

Anyone care to comment who has first hand knowledge of their own for the OP?

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 25, 2021