1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Advice on Getting an A D G C Set of Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ItchyPBass, Aug 21, 2012.

1. ItchyPBass

ItchyPBass

May 10, 2012
    So, I have a 4 string Squier Jazz Fretless, and I really want to change the strings from EADG to ADGC, just so I can go a bit higher in my compositions, use different harmonics and the like.

Unfortunately, I can't find strings like this for bass anywhere. Obviously just tuning all my strings up is a bad idea, so any advice on where to look?

(Or should I just give up and buy a 6 String set and neglect the B and E strings?)

Thanks in advance everyone. :bassist:

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  3. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    There are also a bunch of light gauge sets like 35-95 or even 30-90 available

4. ItchyPBass

ItchyPBass

May 10, 2012
    Ah, Ok, sounds great :)
    Would the fact I live in the UK be problematic from ordering from your site?
    Everyone on TB seems to love it, but I'm wondering if it might be more cost effective to just do the 6 String thing from a UK store.

Thanks for showing an interest by the way :D

5. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    No problems at all! Ship there all the time!

Since these lighter gauge sets are so light its cheaper to go by first class international. Let me know what you decide on and I can quote you some numbers.

First class isn't available as a default shipping option on the site. We have to do that on a case by case basis.

6. ItchyPBass

ItchyPBass

May 10, 2012
    Therein lies the second of my two problems.
    Unfortunately, I have no clue at all about anything string related, I have currently only changed strings once (after three years of playing :bag:), the only thing I know is that they should be roundwound :p

7. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Well, let us know the kind of tone you are going for and we can go from there...

Do you like the feel of what you are playing now? How would you like your sound to be different?

8. ItchyPBass

ItchyPBass

May 10, 2012
    If I had to pick an artist as an example for the tone I aspire to, it would probably be Steve Lawson, but he uses a ton of effects so I don't know how useful that is...
    (Here's an example in case you're not familiar with him: )

I like strings slightly thinner than the standard Fender ones, I replaced the ones on my (fretted) Precision with a 'hybrid' gauge (not sure of the measurements, but noticeably thinner than the old strings).

Hope that's narrowed it down a little, thanks again for the help :D

9. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Are you playing fretless? I prefer light gauge strings on my fretless,, I cant say what he is using and its hard especially when you have a non-wood fingerboard like on the modulases...

Pretty sure those are stainless steel... Id go for some stainless steel strings 30-90 for A-C tuning... There are a few sets pre-packaged in those gauges...

10. ItchyPBass

ItchyPBass

May 10, 2012
    Oops, thought I'd clarified fretless. Oh well :)
    Thanks for the advice, thats really great!
    TB works wonders with such helpful and kind people as yourself.

11. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    I might have missed that :)

12. groovaholic

groovaholic The louder the better.

Sep 19, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI
    You might also want to check out the websites for Circle K and D'Addario strings.
    Both have a tension chart which you could use to pick a C that would fit with the set you already have on the bass.

Or, if you like the thinner feel, find something that would give you that.

For a fretless, I really like D'Addario Half-Rounds or GHS Pressurewound-- a good mix of roundwound articulation and a voice that is complimentary to fretless.

The added bonus is a smoother finish that keeps your fretboard from getting chewed up.

13. ItchyPBass

ItchyPBass

May 10, 2012
    So how would I go about ordering them from your site? I've had a quick look, but I'm lost as to finding the gauges.

Also, it says something about international shipping by arrangement only, does that mean I just sign up then use the 'Contact Us' bit of the site?

Thinking about it, all of this should probably have been in a PM :D

It could be an 'International String Orders Q&A Thread' or something