Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

[Advice on Pedals...]

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Luciano_Bass, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Luciano_Bass

Luciano_Bass Guest

Nov 6, 2004
    Glasgow
    Hey there, I'm looking to buy a new effects pedal, currently I've been using a mixture of pedals including the KORG AX100-G - yes - 'G' it's the guitar pedal - tut tut.

So far however it has got my by quite succefully, however I'm doing a lot of serious study recording, and live playing all over so I need something more professional.

I've looked at:
    BOSS GT-6B Bass Effects Processor
    BOSS ME-50B Bass Multiple Effects

I'm curious if anyone has experience of both these pedals and could make clear to me the obvious differences, and their preferred.

Also, if anyone else knows of any other pedals they could recommend then I'm more than willing to check them out.

Piece Bass Players,
    Luciano Rossi

2. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Well....here's my 2 cents, but bear in mind everybody has their own tastes.

The GT-6B is very versatile, and has lots of modeling capabilities, if that's what you want. It sounds great, but it's complicated to use, and difficult to tweak on the fly live.

The ME-50B sounds great, but it's bare bones (which is good or bad, depending). It has arguably the best distortion in any multi-effect. It's easy to tweak, but not nearly as versatile as the GT-6B.

Personally, if you're looking at multi-effects in that price range, I would suggest finding a used Boss VF-1 rack mount unit, and run that in the effects loop of your amp. You would then control it with any midi foot controller you could find (I use a Rolls Midi Buddy, but any brand will get the job done). That's what I wound up doing, and I've been very happy with it ever since.

Try doing a search on all 3 units, there's a TON of info on all of them.

Hope that helped.

3. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Buy pedals. Sure, it's more to carry, and you have to buy good ones, and it's more expensive, and you need good cable, but it's worth it. They sound way better.
    My favorites:
    TC Electronics Stereo Chorus Flanger
    MXR M-188 Bass Auto Q
    Fulltone Bass Driver
    Aphex Bass Xciter
    Korg DT-10 Tuner
    EHX Black Finger
    EHX Bass Micro Synth
    EBS Octave Pedal

That makes one kick ass Pedal Board, a little expensive, but today I tried the ME50B, and I used to have a GT6B. I was highly disappointed. I truly recommend those pedals.