1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Advice on small combos

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by roger winkler, May 1, 2006.

1. Hello to all, I need some help or advice on what the best bang for the buck would be on small combo amps. Here are my "specs". I play in a classic rock band and sometimes we do get loud, most times not. So I was thinking somewhere around 250 watts. Next, I'd like to keep the weight down to 50 pounds or less, I'm tired of lugging heavy gear. Cost wise I was hoping to stay in the neighborhood of say $400.00. I looked at the Nemesis 2x8, but it was rated at 120 watts FET. By the way, what is FET power? I looked at Ashdown combos and was impressed except for the weight factor. I would also like an amp rated at 8 ohms. I can't think of anything else to add to my post at the moment,so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Roger Winkler:help: :help: :help:

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    FET just means it's a solid state amp, but it uses one of the two kinds of common output devices -- FET or Bipolar. It makes little difference in terms of the performance of the amp from the user standpoint.