1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Advice: what to buy?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by prince666, Apr 6, 2006.

1. prince666

prince666

Mar 18, 2006
    Hey peeps,

I am looking to get a mic or something to record my bass guitar parts on my pc. I think it's not very wise (or healthy for my pc) to connect my bass to my pc, so i will be needing a mic. I don't have too much money or knowledge on this subject, so i am hoping i can get some advice here.

my style is mostly metal, but not just the E's and A's but with a lot of high tone variations in it aswel.

so, i am open for all help!

steve

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Most people don't record bass with a mic. They usually use some type of direct box or preamp.

3. Rhythmbug

Rhythmbug

Jan 22, 2006
    London UK
    A mic can be done but I wouldn't recommend it, it will sound pretty poxy and you'll have to muck around with the audio settings to make it sound any good. I've heard acoustic guitar recordings through a cheap mic, they used alot of effects and eq but for bass you want a good natural signal to start with

I use a tascam US122 audio interface and record through ableton live, fairly basic setup but works well

4. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
  5. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
  6. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    You can download a free program that will let you record your tracks. It's pretty decent for free and works well.
    http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/

As far as the USB interface goes, it should have its own drivers that you will install when you get the unit. I don't have this unit but it was in bassplayer magazine this month and the reviewer said it worked. It should let you record your bass into your computer fairly clean.

7. prince666

prince666

Mar 18, 2006
    Does it also work well with a bass distortion and other effects like a phaser?

8. Doesn't matter. Since there isn't going to be any acoustic signals, it'll all be digital. Which means you can put whatever the hell you want in the signal path. Just don't run the amp output into your computer. That's bad.

Rock on
    Eric