Advise on supporting a wildfire casualty.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by abarson, Aug 26, 2020.

Tags:
  1. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    As we feared, our drummer's home was decimated in the CZU Lightning Complex fire. They lost everything aside from what they could cram into two SUVs. I don't think he was able to get his drumkit out, and I know the PA didn't get loaded. Beyond being his home, it was also our band's practice space as well as being a congregation point for area musicians to get together and jam. He and his wife had made it a very welcoming place for all of us.

I'm looking for suggestions as to how I can support this couple through this difficult time, both in the physical and the spiritual realm. If you've had the misfortune to have this happen to you or your friends, please provide any tips to help get through such a situation.

JES likes this.
  2. Oh man, that’s rough. Not a great time for benefit concerts. There’s always Go Fund Me. If you get the word out, I’ll bet there’s some musician brothers who have surplus equipment that they’d donate.

CatchaCuda likes this.
  3. I lost everything except 1 Guild fretless B301 in a fire in Texas in March 1979. That bass was at another location. Lost drums, guitars, amps, trumpets, everything.
    All I had left were the clothes on my back. But I had INSURANCE. I truly hope they had fire coverage insurance.
    From experience I can say, in the first few days they will need stuff like food, pet feed or pet care, and mostly, a bed. (Back then, in rural Tx, there was NO organized assistance. There weren’t even any neighbors!)
    Afterward, ASK them what they need most. Musically or otherwise. Sometimes well meaning people trying to help, can get ahead of what you are able to manage. So, ask them what you can do for them. Also, (if they have any way of going back to the site), ask if you can help by going back to search through the rubble for anything. I found old jewelry that had melted, but was still a keepsake.
    And tell them from me, (as a person who has been there), to look at it as a chance to start fresh.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
    JGbassman, DirtDog, mrcbass and 3 others like this.
  4. JES

JES Supporting Member

+1 on asking them before doing anything.

but gofundme can be good if they weren’t adequately insured. Some friends who are pillars of their community just lost one of their children and there was a successful gofundme.

Guild B301 likes this.
  5. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    As a victim of a fire myself (arson, not wildfire), I can say that that the number one thing is a place to stay, get healthy and start to regroup. If you have space to offer, I'm sure that would be welcome above all else right now. The rest will kind of put itself together as they get past today and figure out tomorrow. I had family local, so that wasn't a challenge for me and I eventually did make some lemonade out of my situation, so yeah, mentally treating the situation as a chance to start fresh is a good strategy.

abarson and Guild B301 like this.
  6. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Thanks for the responses so far. It looks like they have temporary housing for now.

DirtDog and JES like this.
  7. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Great advice, especially from someone who's gone through it first hand.

8. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Did they have insurance?

9. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member

I haven't been in or known people in exactly this situation, but from observing another friend in a crisis - be aware that they may need space. Be available to help in whatever way you can and make sure they know that, but they may have a pile of people constantly demanding their attention with the best of intentions, and ending up adding to the stress rather than reducing it.

mrcbass and abarson like this.
  10. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Thanks for all the advise.
    He is insured and he's looking forward to rebuilding. His biggest stress seems to be not having access to drums. I'm impressed with his attitude.

Guild B301 likes this.