1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aerodyne Clone Build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Bassmanmike1, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Bassmanmike1

Bassmanmike1 Sittin' In Limbo

Jan 13, 2011
    Marysville, CA
    Started my next build. I had a nice piece for a neck left over from my six string build here http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f57/six-string-neck-through-bass-build-878208/ So that is where I started.

My first good bass was a jazz bass, and I have loved the look of the Aerodyne jazzes with the binding on the top since they came out, so that is what I decided to build. It was high time I had a four string back in the stable after playing nothing but fivers for the last 25 years too. Unlike a Fender Aerodyne though, this will be neck through, and 24 fret. I'm going to paint the front of the body and headstock black like an Aerodyne, but the back I will leave clear so you can see the five purple heart stringers in the neck. I ordered a piece of basswood for the body, so I am using the same wood Fender used on the Aerodyne. While I waited for all the hardware and wood for the body to be delivered I started on the neck.

I started with a squared side on my neck blank and transfered the headstock pattern after laying out for the nut, bridge, and pickups. Then I rough cut the neck and headstock shape and started shaping it. I also glued a maple cap on the headstock, drilled the holes for the tuners and put in the slot for the trussrod.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That pretty much covers the first couple of days. More to come.

2. nice, looks promising

3. Bassmanmike1

Jan 13, 2011
    Marysville, CA
    The hardware, electronics, and wood for the body and fretboard were all delivered.

[​IMG]

I scored a complete set of Fender Aerodyne smoked chrome hardware on E-Bay.

[​IMG]

Seymour Duncan Basslines "Lightning Rods" active P/J set, complete with pots, jack, battery clip, cap and wire.

[​IMG]

An Ebony fretboard and double acting trussrod from LMI. The body wood is basswood, like Fender uses for the Aerodyne.

[​IMG]

OK, time to get to work.

4. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

It looks like the start of another great build!

5. moe.moe

moe.moe The song doesn't begin until the bass comes in! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Chicago
    to me that is just simply AMAZING !!!!!

Awesome ! :hyper:

6. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Will the top be radiused like an Aerodyne?

7. me like

8. Bassmanmike1

Jan 13, 2011
    Marysville, CA
    Yes. According to specs it's a 39" radius. I've been shaping and sanding all day. Just came in for a little break. I'll try to post more progress pics later.

9. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Very cool. I'd love to see one with a back contour, similar to what Warwick does. Lots of work, though.

I really like the painted top, clear back idea, too.

10. Keep an eye on my challenge build.

lowsound

11. Bassmanmike1

Jan 13, 2011
    Marysville, CA
    Got the body wings cut and glued on in a late session last night. I took the clamps off this morning and went to work filing, sanding and shaping.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thats all for today. Will try to post more in the next couple of days.

12. that is one sexy slab atm

13. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    This has WIN written all over it.

14. Bassmanmike1

Jan 13, 2011
    Marysville, CA
    Here's todays update. Spent all day shaving the neck down to where I wanted it and got the taper nice and straight. Smoothed out the heel where the neck transistions into the body. Then I rounded over the edges on the back and put in the belly cut.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Bassmanmike1

Jan 13, 2011
    Marysville, CA
    Concentrated on getting the pickup and control cavities routed today. Got that done and I made a cover for the control cavity from some of the basswood that was cutoff from the body. Still have to make the route for the strat jack plate. Don't have a pattern for that so I'll have to make one from scratch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I laid the knobs and the jack plate on top just to see how it looked. I also got the hole drilled for the bridge ground wire.

[​IMG]

16. webelo

webelo

Jun 7, 2011
    Douglas, MA
    I am in love with this project. Keep up the good work and more importantly... keep the pictures coming.

17. Bassmanmike1

Jan 13, 2011
    Marysville, CA
    :) No work or pics today. Have a safe and happy 4th everyone :)

:hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:

18. Bassmanmike1

Jan 13, 2011
    Marysville, CA
    Here's todays update.

Since my last posting I made the pattern for the Strat jack plate and got that routed. Then I put the radius in the top and I routed out the ledge for the binding on the top. I did a whole lot of sanding all over, and lastly I shot primer on the front of the body and the head stock.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Bassmanmike1

Jan 13, 2011
    Marysville, CA
    Got the first coat of color on the front.

[​IMG]

20. Beautiful!