1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

aerodyne Q's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by garrettowens, Dec 14, 2011.

1. garrettowens

garrettowens

Nov 30, 2011
    Am thinking about picking up a MIJ Fender Aerodyne
    Was curious about the pickups etc - are they the same as on a P-bass and the J-bass? Or are they cheaper models or what?

There is one on CL that I am interested in, comes with hard case, a amp cable, strap etc
    Whats a reasonable price for one with no scratches or anything?

Thanks, sorry for all of the questions (between this and my intro thread), Im pretty much new to the bass world.

2. You may want to edit your post. Price check/"How much is this bass worth"-type threads are limited to supporting members only.

Maybe check ebay for what they are "going for".

3. garrettowens

garrettowens

Nov 30, 2011
    Sure I'll check there for pricing stuff, but what about the other questions?

Was this ever officially sold in the USA or Japan only? I was looking through some threads and it seems they were all MIJ and I see people talking about getting them from there as well. Didnt know.

4. I don't know the country of origin for the pickups but, there is a reason that people seek out MIJ Fender basses.

5. garrettowens

garrettowens

Nov 30, 2011
    doing more and more research, seems the japanese models came with pickguards, and I've seen pickguards online - is it difficult/recommended to install on on the aerodyne?
    I feel like i'd want one incase I were to mess up and hit the body

6. Bassgrowl95

Bassgrowl95

Dec 14, 2011
    Sweden
    I think they are the same as the ones on japanese p-basses and jazz-basses, but i am not sure.

7. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    You'd have to drill holes in the ones with no pickguard. The ones sold in the US with no pickguards are not MIJs. Sorry but I don't know about the pickups. The US ones have "standard" P & J pickups in them which are what the MIMs have in them. So I doubt the MIJs would have the same pickups. From the other Aerodyne threads I've seen, everyone recommends the MIJs over the MIM ones.

By the way, I used to have a MIM Aerodyne Jazz Bass and I liked it :)

8. garrettowens

garrettowens

Nov 30, 2011
    Are you certain that the US Aerodynes are MIM?
    I was looking at a serial number for an aerodyne and, according to the fender site, its Crafted in Japan.
    But its a model with no pickguard.

I was speaking to a friend last night about these and he was saying that it was simple to put a pickguard on.
    Is it the same for the crome piece that goes under the tone/volume knobs?

Im really itching to get one, its just that it is a little more money than I was initially hoping to spend on a bass, so Im more hesistant to pull the trigger.

I appreciate yalls time on answering my questions, helping me out.

9. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI

I'm fairly certain this is incorrect. I have a non-pickguard Aerodyne and its an MIJ.

I would NOT suggest hacking one up trying to put a flat pickguard on it. The top of the body is radiused, and the P pickup route would be distorted. Same with the Jazz control plate. Why not just look for one that came with the pickguard?

10. drewfunk

drewfunk

May 10, 2010
    Olympia, Wa
    ALL aerodynes are made in japan. But the Japanese market versions have pickguards and a few other differences. don't bother trying to install a pickguard on one, you risk ruining the finish and you still won't have a the control plate so it will look awkward.

Damn, looks like low end beat me to it haha.

11. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    I have seen some Aerodyne variants in the US market that have the pickguard.

Ahh crap. I'm about to debunk part of my own story. Here's a TB thread with pics of an Aerodyne mod involving a control plate and pickguard.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/does-fender-aerodyne-jazz-belong-any-you-574754/

12. garrettowens

garrettowens

Nov 30, 2011
    First part - thanks for saying that, helps me be assured that this is, in fact, MIJ.

Second part - I did not know the top was radiused, I've yet to hold one in my hands.
    BUT
    The japanese domestic market Aerodynes came with a pickguard and control plate, so they had to have made them for the model.
    And even here : fender aerodyne | eBay there are some Aero pickguards for sale. So I'd think it'd fit without issue if you had a pickguard made for it.
    But please, if Im wrong, tell me, but I dont see how/why Fender would put them on if it'd hurt the model.

Third part - the part about finding a bass with pickguard. Yeah, thats what the plan originally was, just get a P bass and be happy. But then I saw a Jag bass with a painted headstock and fell in love with that (the matching head). And then the option of having both pickups on the bass is appealing to me as well.
    So I learned of the Aero and it seems like a great choice for me. Again, its a little more than I was originally hoping ot spend, but I can pay a little more and get a real Fender, and not squire, and have the little things that I like

Could you please tell me what the other differences are between US/NonJap market Aeros and MIJ market aeros are?

And also, the part aout risking ruining the finish - how so? If I have someone do it thats done the work before, will it really be a big issue? I understand that it'd be drilling through the paint, but dont understand how, beyond that, it'd mess up the finish of the body.

I do really appreciate yalls help, I cant say it enough.

13. garrettowens

garrettowens

Nov 30, 2011

I hadnt refreshed this page since earlier, so I didnt see this post before I made mine a second ago. I'll look into this thread in a second, thanks for the link

14. The ones I saw in Hong Kong years ago were all black, no PG and MIJ

15. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    They expanded their lineup to include a few different colors, complete with foto-flame veneer jobs.

a.provider,m.92248,mod.media,down.true,th.normal,s.pictures.

OMFGLMAOLOLWOW!

[​IMG]

aerodyne2.

fender_apb_105dmc.

...aaaaaand I'm spent.