1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Affordable, portable combo

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Freaky Fender, Apr 25, 2010.

1. I'm looking for a combo amp that will help me just give some reinforcement for my sound. I;m looking at some of the GK kickback combos. I'm looking in the price range of around 500, so I'm mainly looking at electric bass amps that won't color my sound TOO much.

2. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    You might be able to pick up a Genz 3.0-10T combo or the Markbass CMD121 combo for a little more.

3. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    I'm a big fan of the Roland bass cube. The 100-watt model is a very big sound. I have the 37-watt and can't believe what a big sound it has. They're built like tanks, but I think the 100 is just over 40 lbs.

4. Do you play upright? (I'm asking this because it was posted on the DB side)
    Nothing in your profile, avatar, username and post is about DB.

Regards,
    François

5. Oh yes, sorry. I've been playing for about a year and a half, my bass is a Shen SB150 Hybrid with a Fishman Full Circle pickup. I'm one of you guys now!

6. shadygrove

shadygrove

Feb 14, 2008
    Marysville, WA
    Check out the new GK MB series... the 112 and 115 are in your price range and the 210 is close. Probably more colored than the venerable MB 150, but less than a GK Kickback. A used MB 150 could also be a good option if you want a really light combo and don't need a lot of volume.

I recently picked up a GK MB210 for DB and AEB and it's working well for me. 350 watts from the 33 lb combo puts out all the volume I need for now, but if I need more it will put out 500 watts with extension cab.

7. TinRoof

TinRoof

Apr 4, 2010
    Norfolk, VA
    I have a Roland Cube 100 Bass amp that is pretty good considering. It has a flat setting that supposedly is flat eq specifically for upright. Which is the setting that i think sounds best. I am trying to sell it for $400/obo though. It's fairly lightweight and for the outlaw country/ bluegrass type stuff i play it gets the job done with plenty of room to spare.

8. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    It's not a combo but a Wizzy 12 and a GK MB500 sound great together. There's also the smaller MB200 head that I'm sure would work great too with the Wizzy.

9. I wouldn't be against this, I already have a GK 700RB-II head for my fretted plank rig, so a nice single 12" cab might be just the ticket.