After 2 years, I may want some lessons...(in Toronto)

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by xolin, Oct 14, 2004.

1. I've been playing for almost two years now. I am in university so time and money are tight. I was thinking, however to have a 1 hour lesson every like two weeks. I just want to see what I can learn from it and then decide if its worth my time (precious, believe me :crying: ).

I live in Thornhill, but anywhere in Toronto is cool, anyone have any suggestions on where I can find an instructor and maybe some price ranges?

Thanks a lot,
  2. I can't really help you out any, but I just thought I'd post cause I've been playing for roughly 3 years now and am moving up to 7 strings, so I'm also thinking about maybe taking some "intermediate" lessons.
  3. Well, maybe someone can give us some advice ;)
  4. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    At risk of stating the stupidly obvious- have you checked the directories/yellowpages for music lessons in your area? Going on reccomendations is usually better, but if nothing else you can just try a couple lessons with someone in the directories. Some good questions to get started in selecting a new teacher would be:
    How long have you been playing?
    What experience do you have?- bands (original or cover), symphonies, etc.
    What's the hourly and 30 min lesson rate?
    What styles do you primarily work with/play?
    How many students do you have? (try talking to some of them)

Any good teacher should ask you right off the bat what your experience in playing is, evaluate it for themself, and what YOU want to get out of your lessons.

Hope that helps!
  5. Sure does, thanks. But I'm still open to other suggestions.