1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

After all this time, my board is finished

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jared Lash, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    Sort of.

I'm sure I'll keep making changes (and one of the pedals I need I'm still looking for used) but in terms of what TYPE of effects I'll have on my board, I'm pretty much done.

I've tried every major type of effect and as many of the unique pedals I could (Noisebox, MuRF, PS-3 etc) and I've come down to the formula that works for me.

Again, I may trade one pedal for another of the same type, but I've pretty much settled on what works for me. I'm setting up a separate fretless board, but really it's the same story there, the effects that I've come to like most on fretless.

Anybody else reach this point?

2. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    I'll never reach that point because there's pricey pedals I want that the Yorkshireman in me refuses to let me buy.

So what have you got?

3. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    Pics...pics...pics...!

4. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Everyone gets to a point where they believe they've reached pedal Nirvana. But it doesn't last long, for GAS is a powerful force! Also, this thread deserves board pics!

5. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
    I reached that point with my Doom/Sludge band. But as for the jamming I have been doing with this other band, im still figuring out what I like to use and in what parts. Gets expensive, but fun.
    Wheres your pics man???:confused:

6. i wonder how long the feeling of 'finished' will last?

also pics and a signal chain would be interesting

7. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
    Till the next "Look at this cool new pedal!" tread is posted ;)

8. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    Basically my board is:

Octaver
    Fuzz
    Envelope Filter
    Low Pass Filter
    Wah
    Phaser
    Tremolo

At the moment, the actual signal chain is Bpss OC-2, OLC Chunky Cheese (in the loop of a Barge VB-jr), Chunk 00Funk, Moog LPF, Wilson Wah, Maxon PH-350, and Moog Ring Mod.

The phaser and trem will be changing soon. Outside of that, I don't see too many changes on the horizon. I'll be keeping 8 pedals (I like powering everything off one PPII+) so if I get a fuzz that doesn't require a blend I might add an overdrive (or VT Bass) or MAYBE a delay (which I love but never find much real use for) but that's about it. Outside of a Meatball or clone I can't think of anything that would knock the Moog off my board. So the others may rotate, but the effects types and the signal chain probably won't change.

My fretless board is Octaver, Filter, Compressor, Flanger and Delay/Looper. That board may get a reverb at some point - Dr. Scientist perhaps - but otherwise will stay the same as well.

I just think it's interesting that as much as I like a lot of different effects types, I've found what works for me. It just dawned on me when I got an email that due to a mixup my Pitchfactor hadn't shipped when it should have. It dawned on me that that I was absolutely certain that I'd play with it, really dig it but not find real use for it and end up returning or selling it. Not that others won't - I just know me and my tastes.

9. JoshC

JoshC

Nov 19, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    I'm at that point kinda too. I haven't changed anything in several months and I have very little gas to really change anything, I may upgrade one or two of my pedals eventually but size wise it's fine for me. I have:
    2 Fuzz, Silicone and Ge
    OD
    Envelope Filter
    Delay
    Flange
    Volume

The only thing I really think I would add is phase again. But it wont be anytime soon. But yeah it's taken almost 3 years of experimenting but I finally have the basics down. Just got to finally nail the exact pedals.

10. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Big O, do you use your Moog LPF with its envelope follower or an external expression pedal or LFO, or... ? I'd love to try one one day and the reason I ask is because it seems like there is some cross over in function between the 00Funk and the LPF and you seem to want a very concise and deliberate board.

11. Haha, I've been saying that for the past two years :D

12. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Even though it's often short-lived, it's a neat feeling when everything is dialed in just right.

I'm kind of that way with basses right now. I still GAS all the time, and post threads about this or that bass that I want, but lately whenever I am about to pull the trigger on a bass, I stop and realize that the basses I already have suit my tastes and "needs" much better than whatever I was about to buy, no matter how cool the new one might have been.

I had pretty much gotten to that point with pedals before my income went kaput and I sold most of them. When I rebuild though, I will have a pretty clear idea about what to get for most of them--no need to go through the endless trials, GASses, and wondering aloud.

13. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    I never use the Moog as an actual envelope follower. I'll use it as a straight low pass filter for dub stuff, with expression control of cutoff for synthy sounds and (and this will sound weird) as a manual autowah. What I mean is pumping the expression pedal with my foot at a constant rate while playing. I used a Robot Factory Mod Box to do this, but it's easy to do manually and the other uses for that pedal dried up when my new project fell apart.

Oh, I'll still be buying pedals I'm sure (hell, I just today ordered two new phasers to try) but the basic configuration is pretty well set at this point, except as I said, for the potential addition of an overdrive or delay, though I may just replace the Barge with a tuner if I get a fuzz that I don't need to blend and call it good.

When I sold everything off I decided to try out a whole bunch more stuff that I was curious about but otherwise I felt the same way - I've tried a HUGE number of pedals and I've found the setup that works for me.

14. Ooh, which phasers? I'm looking for a phaser myself to replace my Phase 90 (which I'm gona sell soon) so I'll look forward to hearing your opinion.

15. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    IMO (and I'm going to get decked for this) phasers just don't work too well on bass. I tried a few (Phase 90, Small Stone, DOD 490) and each one just made me plummet out of the mix.

I think flangers are better suited, myself.

16. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    This thread has 14 posts, several are by BigO and none of which contain pics.

That's cause for violence in some cultures.

17. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Gnasher - I recommend the EHX Nano Small Stone, only £38 here!

</derail>

18. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I'm right there with you O. I got it down to the effect types i use and have gone from there. have tried tons and tons of pedals and am getting close to finalizing the board.

gotta love it :)

19. Yeah, I was thinking of upgrading from my Phase 90. I've never been a fan of EHX. I was looking at boutique flanger/phasers. So far I've thought about the HBE Frostbite Flanger and the Blackout Effectors Whetstone Phaser. Anyway, sorry I've completely hijacked the thread.

As you were :bag:

20. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    It's time for a hanging. :smug: