1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

After LMII? I find no replacement....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AlexanderB, Mar 3, 2021.

1. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    What have you bought to replace the LMII with? I have one, will probably never sell it, but I need one more amp, preferrably with more power, and not too large. A 2 RU height is OK, 3 is not. The preamp in Markbass LM models is very good for my needs, and I need something similar. 4 band EQ, no baked in voicing, very clean, with extended lows etc.

Have tried Markbass Ninja, EBS Reidmar and Classic heads, Fender Rumble, TH500 and others. Many are not worth giving a test run, as the spec is clearly NOT what I want (MESA, Darkglass, Tech21 etc).

I am open to moderate size "lead sleds", like Hartke AH series or EBS HD360 (which has all the wrong EQ for me).

SJan3 likes this.
  2. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    The class D amps from Markbass sound clearly different from the LMII, and also different from my QSC PLX and RMX amps, which are my references, LMII aside.

Not interested in another class D discussion, as my goal is finding a partner to the LMII....

SJan3 likes this.
  3. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    What about an EBS Classic 500, which is another class AB head. Or, finding a Mesa M3, M6, or M9? I regrettably sold an M3 a few years back. It hit way harder than it's advertised 300w.

4. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Didn't they make an LM 800 at one point ? More power, same model. Look for a used one ?

AlexanderB likes this.
  5. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    Thank you for the reply.
    In general, EBS amps have eq points all wrong for me; bass too high and bloated, and just one mid.
    The Classic is also very large, bigger than my pre+power amp rig...
    MESA bass amps are very rare in Sweden, have never seen one of those models in the flesh.

6. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    I have the Ninja 1000 at home now. Same pre amp (sounds identical to me), but with 1000W class D amp. The power amp part sounds quite different from the LMII or my QSC amps, and I do not like its shortcomings. Wanted to love it, but I do not.

Used Markbass amps are few and far between, here in Sweden.
    We are much poorer than you guys in US, so there is much less "mobility" for used gear. People here stick to what they have, not going for the latest model.

Zbysek likes this.
  7. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Have you tried the LM800 ? I see they pop up in the Classifieds here often.

8. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    Well, importing, sight unseen from US to Sweden is cost prohibitive. I have tried LMIII and now "LM1000", as the Ninja could be called.

However, remembering the discussions between KJUNG, Mike Arnopol, Chef and many other prominent and analytical members, the verdict was clear back then, there was no other Markbass LM that sounded like the LMII.

Brad Johnson, TN WOODMAN and jnewmark like this.
  9. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Wow, context is everything. I glanced at the thread title and thought “Hmmm, I wonder what’s going on with Luthier’s Mercantile; I better head over to LMII.com and find out....”. I buy lots of stuff from LMII!

10. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    Hey, off you go, instead of polluting this discussion!!! :D

ctmullins likes this.
  11. Liko

Liko

Mar 30, 2007
    By far my favorite MB amp to date has been the TA501. 300/500W, 2RU, about 99% sure it's Class AB, and the tone was to die for, helped by the 2-band semi-parametric mids (and, oh yeah, the tube preamp gain stage). When I was playing them, they were pretty spendy, so I never pulled the trigger on one of my own, and I regret that now. My amps do what I need them to, so it's hard to justify even their used prices, which have gotten more reasonable.

These days, they change hands for about $400, but that's in the US, and shipping to Europe's going to easily add another $100-$150 onto that (not to mention that MB amps, older ones especially, can't switch supply voltages, so amps for the US market only run on 110VAC).

img_1098-jpg.jpg

A quick look at Reverb shows there's an SA450 for sale in Paris for $600, which might make shipping and power conversion a bit less painful. The SA450 is basically the TA501 with a solid-state preamp, not unlike your LMII but with the better flexibility of the midrange EQ. Markbass SA450 | bassNguitar | Reverb if you want to take a look.
    hh7u2umxfdppwevizlg7.jpg

Zbysek, PWRL and AlexanderB like this.
  12. I think many eBay sellers will ship internationally even if they didn't check that box, if you ask nicely and offer to throw in extra $$

AlexanderB likes this.
  13. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Voltage would be an issue, if shipped from US / Canada. And I think OP mentioned prohibitive import duties.

AlexanderB and JimmyThunder like this.
  14. steelbed45

steelbed45 33 on Ignore Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Nolanville, TX
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    AlexanderB likes this.
  15. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Trickfish amps can be set close to the EQ points used by the LMII. Rack mountable, 2U.

AlexanderB likes this.
  16. idorky

idorky

Dec 27, 2006
    BigBang i think will be the closest to what you're seeking, plus BB has a little more power, BB used to be may main, when the class D800 subway came out, i shifted, BB became back up, now with the TT, D800 is now backup, BB is backup to the backup, may be i'll part :)

17. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Out of curiosity, what cabs are you using?

18. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Shoals Indiana
    If you like your LMII, but need more power, how about running it into a separate power amp?

19. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    This might sound
    How did you compare the sound of the poweramps? The LMII has the FX Return pre EQ, so there is, AFAIK no way to listen to the power amp soloed.

And are you sure you need more watts? I've used the LMII in the loudest of environments and it did suffice. I did so using either Aguilar (4x12) or barefaced cabinets.

To toss in a few more that might be interesting: Eich T-1000 (or the older model Tecamp Puma), Orange Terror Bass 500 or 1000.
    The German used market has several of those and most German sellers will ship to the north.

20. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    Thanks everyone, much appreciated!
    I was not clear about it, but I would definitely prefer a new one over something 10 years old, with unknown history.

Trickfish and Glockenklang noted. I think Trickfish uses Pascal modules? Layout and EQ seems ok.
    Need to look for more specs on Glockenklang. A lot of money for not being my "big amp", as that role is covered by my rack mount pre+power amp setup.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021