Aftermarket Stingray Pickup Covers?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MojaveVox, May 9, 2021.

1. I just bought two white ones directly from Ernie Ball.

2. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Correct.
    the old conventional StingRay 4 string pickup cover just slides right off.

MojaveVox likes this.
  3. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Central FL
    That’s what I did… worked great!

4. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
  5. Now why the heck would they go and start gluing them on? That just makes it impossible to repair the pickup if there's a simple (by pickup repair-person standards) fix available. Dumb move, EBMM (he says with zero idea of it's true, or why they did it, or if it's actually a dumb move ;-) )

6. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Pretty reliable pickups. I can't remember any time I've heard of anyone with a dead coil.

7. That's not my point. I know, it sounded like my point. I was just using that as a point to make my point.

You know...

My real point is that guitar pickups have had removable covers, or no covers, on decent pickups, basically forever. You can access things in there that might matter to you. 4 string ray pickups have had removable covers forever. Why not 5s? And, why on earth would they START gluing on covers relatively recently in the history of EBMM basses out of the blue? It's extra effort, and makes things less accessible. Why on earth?

mikeswals likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021