1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

AG 700 vs TH 500 vs Mesa d800

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pigpen1, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Well, thru my cabs at least, Fender Bassman Pro Neo 115s (usually just one), it seems to have that slight compression and solidity that is similar to my all tube heads thru same cab.
    The Bergantino HG410 is good too, different, but very nice.

I've always been able to get a good tone, volume etc, outta the Fender 115 with the TH500.
    To me it's a great pairing.
    Don't know about using both my Bassman 115s with it, at 4 ohms, coz I've only done it a couple times and it was ages ago

2. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    If you want clean and thick I'd prefer the D800 to the TH. I have never played an AG. Also, just in case you haven't already done so, be sure to have tried your TH with the drive control off, because it can do the clean thing just fine IME.

3. musicman556

musicman556 Gold Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2019
    Smyrna, TN
    Yes, drive off. But also, try setting the gain at zero/full counter-clockwise, if you haven't done that yet.

That gain knob is not like any other gain; even at full ccw, you can get some real volume out of the amp. I think that's part of what confuses a lot of folks in trying to get the sounds they want with a Tone Hammer.

lomo likes this.
  4. JarodGrieco

JarodGrieco Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2012
    Do you have a clear idea of what the fan knob is doing on the TH? I cannot for the life of me find anything online that simply describes what changes as you turn it clockwise. I understand it has something to do with the mids, and I know for sure that it increases the intensity of the drive

5. musicman556

musicman556 Gold Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2019
    Smyrna, TN
    This is from the TH 500 manual:
    The Drive control changes the gain structure and EQ interactively with the GAIN control position. By modifying the circuit structure, Drive gives a “vintage voiced” EQ and gain structure that adapts to how you set the GAIN control. The lower the GAIN control setting, the “flatter” the EQ applied. The higher you set the GAIN control, the more saturated the gain structure becomes, and the more the bass is tightened and the treble smoothed.

The Drive circuitry surrounds the midrange controls, enabling you to get a huge variety of tonal characteristics by simply adjusting the GAIN, MID LEVEL and MID FREQ controls.

FRoss6788 likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 8, 2021