1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Agathis wood?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FungusHumungous, Jul 6, 2003.

1. do you wish to expand on bridge types and tonal changes?

I was not aware of the differences.
    Cort like mine on Left

2. pilotjones

pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Bent-plate bridges, such as on tradational Fenders, and as would appear to be on the 4-string (but not on the 5-string) in the picture you reference above, are generally considered to give notes less sustain, but possibly more "punch." Solid bridges, such as a BadAss, are generally considered to give more sustain, and possibly a smoother or treblier or more "piano-like" (to use a very over-used phrase) tone.

A bent-plate bridge with the strings strung through-body is generally considered to sound more like a solid bridge. So are heavy-duty bent-plate bridges.

There are also potentially differences in sound between solid bridges made of brass or aluminum, as well as different designs.

While there is some theory supporting these ideas, in the end it is a matter of opinion.

Probably a good way to find some of the opinions on this is to do a keyword search on "badass" or on "BAII" (BadAss II) or on "Leo Quan."

3. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    I recently put a lightweight bent-plate bridge on my J to replace a Gotoh 201. Same hole spacing, so it was no big deal. Yikes, I couldn't get it off fast enough!! The sound became mushy and dead spots that were just barely there just jumped out. There was no solidity to the sound, certainly not punchier. I think there is something better than the Gotoh 201. It is die-cast and kind of soft. This is a very interesting topic; maybe somebody can start a new thread.

4. I emailed Cort for specs before it went up on curbows website. this is what they sent back:

34" scale
    maple neck w/ rosewood fretboard
    agathis body
    power sound covered jazz pups
    active 2 band eq
    nut width 1 9/16"

Also said they use the same nut on all their 4 string basses, so it's a fair guess it the same neck as on other Curbow models.

Bob

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Hmmm...According to Greg, it's got passive V/V/T with active pickups. At any rate, I've got one sitting at my desk right now (looks killer), so I'll post what the actual electronics are when I get home, and have a chance to plug it in.

6. I spoke with somebody at Curbow about it and at best they were vague on the details- also told me it was basswood- that's why I emailed Cort.

Ah, but the proof is sitting their in your office, eh Bassmonkee?

Looking forward to you breakdown of how this thing sounds!

Bob

I sent you a pm with some questions about the retro- sorry didn't realize you are 'live'.

7. pilotjones

pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Same hole pattern as a standard Fender bridge:

Badass II
    Gotoh 201
    maybe one of the Hipshot bridges?

8. JasonLamb

JasonLamb

Aug 17, 2007
    everything i have ever heard made of agathis has sounded absolutely terrible.....

9. :eek: 7 year old zombie!!!! :rolleyes: might want to check the dates of the posts before yours

10. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Agathis sounds much more like mahogany to me. Same dark tone orientation. It does have bit more treble content and treble isnt quite as refined as mahoganies imo.

Bridge change can affect sound a little bit irregardless of the body wood species. In my expereince himass (at least as massive etc as gotoh 201) bridges give fuller sound. more even balance lows to highs and better resonance with the body. Thin bent metal bridges with string thru body are pretty much like most himass bridges with top load. Himass bridge with both top load and thru body allowance give no sound change to me. But the string thru body option does feel like has little more tension. I prefer top load bridge. BaddassII bridges add a treble zingyness to the sound that I dont like. I believe this is due to the metal formula used. I notice this same treble zingyness add with real floyd rose tremelos on guitars btw. I dont like those either partly due to that sound change. LOl.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021