1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Age gap - great fun

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by BassyBill, Apr 29, 2010.

1. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    The younger brother of an ex-student of my drumming buddy has just booked me for a gig with a load of 19 year olds next Saturday. For some reason I find this hilarious. I'm nearly 30 years older than they are!

Here's the set list he sent me. I've never listened to half of this stuff before, so it looks like I have few tunes to learn in the next 9 days. Should be a really fun gig, though, I'm looking forward to it.

Superstition - Stevie Wonder
    Signed sealed delivered - Stevie
    I wish - Stevie
    Déjà vu _ Beyonce
    Naughty girl - Beyonce
    American boy - Estelle
    Falling - Alicia Keys
    You've got the love - Florence and the machine
    9 to 5 - Dolly ******* Parton!!
    Valerie - Amy Winehouse
    Mercy - Duffy
    September - EWF
    Sunday Morning - Maroon 5
    Shackles - Mary Mary
    Boogie 2nite - Tweet
    New York (empire state of mind) - Jay Z
    Bootylicious - Destiny's Child
    Independent woman - DC
    Maria maria - Santana, with some rapping doods who aren't very clever
    Show me what you got - Jay Z
    Virtual insanity - Jamiroquai
    Ain't nobody - Chaka Khan

2. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    That's an interesting setlist. Some of the hip-hop songs don't have bass guitar in them, I believe. So I guess you have some leeway.

Forget the age gap: if the drummer is good, stick with them for as long as possible!

3. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Well, it's good to see the "kids" like some good tunes from before their time. I've found that an amazing number of young adults (20s) really like and respond to 60s-80s classic music. I think that one of the more surprising deals happened when my band played "Hang On Sloopy" followed by "Free Bird." A bit of an age difference in the audience but actually more of the younger ones responded to "Hang On Sloopy" than "Free Bird." That surprised me a bit, but put a smile on my face too. :cool:

4. Wow, great set of tunes there, I'd think about hooking up with them permanently if possible.. lost of fun if you're into that stuff. I've done half a dozen of those, and have heard a lot more of them. Me likey likey....

Randy

5. slaps76

slaps76

Jul 10, 2008
    Medford, MA
    Female singer, or both? Just curious with Mercy, Beyonce, ect. Mercy is a great song, I want to cover that at some point!

6. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Yes, female singer.

7. yehongxiang

yehongxiang

Dec 15, 2009
    Singapore
    Screw the age gap!

I'm 23, and the other guys are at least in their mid-30s. One of them is 55 even!

It's all about fun. :)

8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Not sure if I hate to admit this, or I'm happy to admit this - but I do the same all the time. :) More like a 25 year gap though. I believe it keeps me young and open minded.

I'm 25 yrs. older than both of the guys in my video below.

9. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Hey Joe - did you ever get to play that Calypso stuff we gave you a lift with a few months back? I'm curious.

10. Hey BassyBill, is tonight the night? Be sure to let us know how it goes....

Randy

11. rosanne

rosanne

Sep 30, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Didn't he say he had 9 days from the 29th to learn the ones he didn't know?

I want to know how it goes too.

12. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    The gig is Saturday 8th May. 5 days away now - I will certainly let you folks know what happens, I'm gratified by your interest. :)

13. nattydreads

nattydreads

Aug 12, 2009
    I play in a trio and were all about 10 years apart, I'm 20 the guitarist is almost 30 and the cellist is almost 40
    , we don't do any covers and tend to have similer taste in music. I play with another band were we all are only
    like 1 or 2 years apart and I think the age gap acully adds to the music we create becouse we are all at diffrent
    points in our life and our experience. Good luck with the gig I hope you have. A good time u may realize us youngers
    are not all that bad ahaah.

14. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    I play in two bands.
    Band One ages: 35, 51,56,57,60
    Band Two ages: 28,33,35,51

I am the 51 yr. old

15. American Boy. Hehe listen to the version by Sam Sparro. "I don't really like his baggy pants but I sure do like what's underneath them!"

16. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    It looks like large fun to me. I'd love to have that set list and play some of those rump shakers live.

17. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
    good luck with virtual insanity :p

18. Similar here. We do 50% of those tunes too :) LOVE playing "Bootylicious"- I think that's one of the best pop/funk type tunes of the last 20 yrs!!
    I play in 3 bands that gig regularly:-
    Ages- 19,29,34,36,45,47,53
    Another band I'm in- 20, 40, 47, 46. I'm the 47 :)..... in both!
    Hope it's a good gig for ya Bill

19. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Haha, I'll probably need it. I'm transcribing some parts of it as this a really good way to learn for me.

20. Cool to see those kids open with 3 good (GOOD!) ol Stevie Wonder songs! I play in a cover band that whips out 9-5 whenever we're in trouble - AMAZING reaction every time, Dolly hit a home run for us with that one!!!