Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aggressive P/J pups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Selta, Dec 9, 2004.

1. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Hey everyone!
    Right now I've an ESP loaded with Seymour Duncan (back when they were SDs and not Basslines..) P/Js (not really sure of the model). Anyways, I'm looking to replace them with something a bit more aggressive, the best term I can think of it. If it helps at all, think Silverchair, Static X, Element Eighty etc. etc. More or less I'm looking for passive (Active might fit, but I'd rather not chance that, or have to worry about batteries), deep lows, emphasized mids and only SOME highs (but not overly bright), kindof growly P/J setup. Any suggestions?

Ray

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    From my experience Bart P/J's are growly but haven't sounded that aggressive. The Dimarzio PJ Set has a heavy midrange emphasis, great value for money pickup set.

There are other options, but I don't know what your budget is or how much you want to sink into your bass.

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Budget is up to $200, and the bass has a pretty good value, so I wont be mad if I sink that much into it.

Ray

4. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    I always thought seymour duncans were pretty agressive, have you looked into a sansamp? it saved my sound :D

5. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    I'm really not into FXy type things much, just not my bag. S.D.s are somewhat aggressive, but they just seem to lack in the lows and not quite the midrange I want. They're pretty brittle though, niiiiiice highs. Growl is nil, which is why I'm looking to add just a bit.
    I was looking at those DiMarzios (here) and notice they say they have a "standard 4 conductor". 1) does this mean I can coil tap them (ooooh boy oh boy oh boy! I hope so) 2) are these like EMGs with the little plug that'd make swapping pups so easy? and 3) do my current pickups have that, if it is that lil plug (I really don't feel like pulling them out at the moment to find out)? Thanks!

Ray

6. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    Ray,
    I wasn't into the effects thing either, but if you ever have a chance to take one for a spin, go for it, I just have it constantly on, it adds a growl that I can't even play without, the box makes it sound like a blanket has been taken off your cab, just something to keep in mind. I see what your saying though, pickups are a giant help, I thought SD's were agressive and powerful but from the sound of it they aren't as great as I thought, so I'm gonna learn just the same as you! sorry for the useless post! haha

7. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    1) Yes
    2) No
    3) No

8. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Ok, dumb question, is there a push/pull vol or tone knob I can get to do the coil tap, or will I have to drill and put in a toggel? Also, do you think those ones I linked to are a good buy?

Ray

9. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yes. look at stewmac.com or guitarelectronics.com, there are push/pull vol pots
    you could do it that way also.
    I think they're great value. Other people may have other recommendations.

10. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    But does great value = great suckassyness too?
    What about the likes of EMGs? I never played P/Js, nor can think of any bass with EMG P/Js, anyone?

Ray

11. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    No, something sucky can't be great value. It's sucky, regardless of price then..
    Buying bas pickups because they're cheap is a false economy, I never recommend that.

If you do a search, you'll find lunkfur's P/J review thread

12. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Do you think maybe I should look into just replacing the P or J side of things?

Ray

13. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    'Great value' means that it's a good reliable product at one of the lowest findable prices. NOT a suckyass product at a low price.
    Now something being 'cheap' could mean it's good or bad.
    Just for clarification :)

14. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Thanks. As soon as I get a mess cleared up I'll be looking into those and possibly buying them.

Ray

15. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    exactly
    Personally, I normally I wouldn't do that unless I knew the replacement was in a similar ballpark output wise.
    If you were to, say, replace a bridge Bart J with a bridge SD QP there would be a significant difference in output level. I'd rather get a matched set.

16. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Gotcha. Thanks guys :)

Ray

17. I'm toying with a Dimarzio Ultra Jazz in the bridge position as a complement to my existing Will Power Middle (DP146) in the P-position.

The Ultra Jazz actually has a bit more output, but this might work very well with the DP146. With my existing series/parallel switching on the P, it might be very interesting.

18. I have EMG P/Js in my MIM Fender Deluxe and it is very growly, aggressive and deep.

They are so aggressive I like to soften them up a bit with my Sansamp ADI. The tube emulation circuit does the trick.

19. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Which model are they? How much did they cost you? Where did you get them? :p

Ray

20. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Be interested to hear further opinions on this combo as you progress with it Bruce.