1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aggressive sounding bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by whisper14072, Mar 18, 2010.

1. whisper14072

whisper14072

May 16, 2008
    Grand Island
    Ok... I know I will prolly get smacked for this one by someone ...but here it goes..

I am looking for an aggressive sounding bass along the lines of the Stingray. I am in the process of trying to find an Ibanez ATK300 to try but no one has them in stock...go figure...lol

I need one with a nice fat neck. I have a Peavey BXP right now but the neck is waaaaayyyy to narrow for me. I have been playing a RBX170 and like that size neck.

Ok any ideas? Price range up to about $700

*ducks*
    Thanks in advance
    John:help:

2. Used Stingray? Ray34?

3. +1. Save up a couple hundred bucks and get a used 'Ray.

4. whisper14072

whisper14072

May 16, 2008
    Grand Island
    Yea That is in my mind. The used Stingray. just wanted some other options. I am not dead set on the Stingray... REALLY like the MM sound. Tried the Ray34 liked it but just didn't feel right to me... weird I know.. but it has just gotta feel right...LOL

5. j.kernodle

j.kernodle

Nov 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    Why would anyone smack you for that? Stingrays are great sounding basses and with a $700 budget, you may luck out and find a used Ray. They come up if you look hard enough. Go $100 more and you can find used American 'Rays all day long.

The Sterling import line Rays are also very nicely made as well, and IMO get the Stingray sound down. Some of the Ibanez ATK's have extremely fat necks. If you look, eventually you'll find one used and come in way under that budget.

6. Find a used Spector and put an EMG BQC preamp in it.

7. whisper14072

whisper14072

May 16, 2008
    Grand Island

I meant smack me for asking a question that may have been asked 1,000 times already ..lol

8. Clank

Clank

Jan 7, 2008
    Huntington Beach
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Strings
    G&L

9. FromTheBassMent

FromTheBassMent Those who can, play bass.

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    This. The Ray34 is close. But if as you say it doesn't feel quite right to you, save up another $100-200 and get a used EBMM Ray. IMHO, there is no substitute.

10. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    IMHO you're not going to feel any major difference between a Ray34 or 35 and a true Stingray or SR5.

You can find the differences, but overall they're based on the same things and very close tonally. All of the dimensions are the same as far as I know. The differences are in the specifics of the build not size or length.

11. whisper14072

whisper14072

May 16, 2008
    Grand Island

:D This is true... I think it is all in my head...LOL:D

12. MK1

MK1

Nov 23, 2009
    Grand Rapids, MI
    What about the Warwick Rockbass Corvette $$? They go for $850 new but there are a lot of used Warwicks on eBay. From what I remember they have pretty chunky necks (in a good way).

13. The ones I played at GC where very well made. My biggest problem was the strings felt and sounded like crap making the whole experience not very good. I have no idea what strings they put on at the factory OR what greasy mitted gremlins might have played them at GC but my first impression wasn't very good. The American made Rays felt much better as they probalby come with higher quality strings.

14. Luchetto

Luchetto

Nov 24, 2009
    Italy
    Yamaha Attitude ! Big fat neck and monster tone :bassist:

15. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    yup

16. whisper14072

whisper14072

May 16, 2008
    Grand Island
    Would LOVE an Attitude.... just above my range...lol... can't talk the wife into spending over a grand on a bass... and can't blame her. I don't play in a band... just at church, want it more for my playing at home and such... :)

17. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Used G&L L2000. very aggressive sounding bass

18. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Try the Ray34 again. I played one at my local GC (I may have been the "greasy mitted gremlin" FLK :D) and it sounded, and played, like a Stingray. Very nice. A used USA Stingray might not be THAT much better (which says more about the Ray34 than the Stingray IMO), although a USA Stingray will give you more finish options. You won't get any closer to the tone of a Stingray in your price range.

19. ausf

ausf

Jun 24, 2008
    New York
    Your description of what you want is a Ray, so there's no reason to compromise and not be happy. You'll always be chasing it. If you are sitting $700, start looking now, you may fall into one, if not spend the time hunting as you scare up another $100.

Trust, I was trying every angle to get other basses up to it, nothing really worked until I had the real deal in my hands. You'll spend more on effects, PUs, etc than you would if you scored a used one.

20. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    For maximum aggression, try the single pickup G&L L-1500, which is closer to a Sterling than a StingRay. The stock neck is really thick, which you'll like, but some (like mine) are special ordered with a Jazz type neck, so watch for that. Like all G&L's they have fantastic quality, and you can find used models in your price range easily.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 4, 2020