1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Aguilar OPB-1 Vs. Mike Pope Flexcore Preamp For Precision Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by PolkaHero, Aug 18, 2016.

1. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Right now I have my choices of preamps for my Fender Precision Special narrowed down. I can go with either an Aguilar OPB-1 with a Volume, Bass, Treble, passive/active toggle switch or a Mike Pope Flexcore with a Volume, Midrange, stacked Bass/Treble, passive/active toggle switch. The Aguilar is over $100 cheaper plus I like Sadowsky preamps (which this is very similar to) so I'm leaning towards it, but are there any fans of the Mike Pope preamps out there that think it would be that much better than the Aguilar? The treble frequency of the Pope pre seems high at either 6 or 10 kHz vs. 4 kHz of the Aggie. Bass frequencies are similar at 40 Hz for the Aggie and either 46 or 90 Hz for the Pope.

2. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    I think the Aguilar OBP-1 is well-suited to instruments with a lot of midrange content, which often comes from having a single pickup somewhere in the middle of the body, like the Precision. It's great for a muscular rock tone! The only question is, will you ever want to reduce treble instead of boosting it? 'Cause the OBP-1 won't do that.

3. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Bestbassgear.com is going to make me a modified Aguilar OBP-1 with a passive tone control that will work in both passive and active mode. Essentially similar to the Sadowsky preamp without the blend control. I think this is going to be a great, flexible preamp!

4. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Good deal! I have an OBP-1 that I'm gonna configure that way too. Let me know how you like it!

5. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    An OBP-1 with a passive tone control is an extremely useful and versatile preamp

PolkaHero likes this.