Aguilar or Norstrand peramp??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bourbonbass, Oct 16, 2017.

1. bourbonbass

bourbonbass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2012
    new orleans LA
    I am currently considering replacing the Aguilar obp-3 in my bass with a Nordstrand 3b. can anyone with experoence with both of these preamps let me know what they hear different between them?

thanks!

2. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Not trashing your question, but on the non-technical side....

That's a difficult question to answer. I doubt you'll get a lot of votes for one or the other. Both are popular, both have great reputations for sounding good and being reliable. I'm partial to Nordstrands because I've used them and I have no reason to use anything else, should I have the need for another preamp.

I'm curious, though...is there something about the Aguilar that you don't like? If it's just curiosity, it's definitely worth the time and money to get the Nord and try it, especially if you like to tinker with electronics like I do. You may hear something in the Nord you prefer over the AG. Or you might not.

And when you settle on one or the other, it's pretty easy to sell the preamp you don't prefer. Both of these brands have a lot of fans, so it should move pretty quickly.

God luck.

3. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    The Nordstrand is more transparent while the Aguilar imparts some of its signature tone.

Also, the Nordstrand has less cut and boost in the controls, especially the bass which can get overly huge on the Aguilar if turned just slightly too far.

I liked the OBP-3 but I find the Nordstrand easier to dial in.

4. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    I would vote for the Aggie, but only because I’ve never tried the other. You could always get a Nordie onboard and a tone hammer pedal, then let them duke it out on stage. People would get a rock show and a cage match for one low price!

5. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    I swapped an Aguilar for the Nordstrand and I'm glad I did. The bass control is much more usable.

Snaxster likes this.