1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Aguilar TH500 with UA Solo 610

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by zofhbass, Mar 19, 2018.

1. zofhbass

zofhbass

Mar 19, 2018
    Hi everyone!
    New to this so please bear with me.

I'd like to run my bass through UA Solo 610 DI into the TH500 for a recording session I'm attending soon.

As far as I understand from couple of threads I've found, to bypass the TH500's preamp section, I'd have to run the 610's out through the FX return on the TH500 so I just wanted some opinions if there's a better way to do this and to make sure I don't fry something.

Thanks!

2. That would be the approach to take.

Your 610 will output a line level signal (DI -> preamp -> line out) and won't cause any harm to the FX return on the Aggie. Apply gain to taste and let the grooves flow.

You could also bypass your TH500 entirely and just run the line out from the 610 into a line in on the console and carry less gear. May be a consideration unless you're using the Aggie power section, cabs and mics to bring something in particular to the session.

zofhbass likes this.
  3. zofhbass

zofhbass

Mar 19, 2018
    Thank you for the reply!

I'll be using Aguilar SL112 and Hartke 115XL as my cabs, the mics are MD421 II and SM7B going through A-Designs Pacifica and Distressors for light compression, just to keep the signal under control.

I wanted to experiment with the UA 610 as my preamp going into the TH500 just to give it some 'hair' with the tubes, I'll also run the XLR out on the TH500 directly to the interface, just to keep the options open.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  4. Sounds like a lot of tasty gear to play around with!

One thing I would note is that if you are bypassing the TH500's input and using the UA610 into the effects return, the Aggie's DI out will do one of two things:
    - pre: nothing, as the DI signal is coming after TH500 input dB pad but before gain / eq / effects (where the US610's output comes in)
    - post: mirror UA610 signal, but bypass the TH500's pad, gain and eq

If you want to use both simultaneously, you'll need to signal split or bite the bullet and create individual takes (or reamp) for each signal chain.

zofhbass likes this.
  5. zofhbass

zofhbass

Mar 19, 2018
    Thank you for your advice! Really appreciate it :)

Cheers