Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ahh! Help!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Sonorous, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Ok. So there is a talent show on Friday and my friends and I will be playing Sunshine Of Your Love.

Now, I would like to try and improv some stuff into it towards the end.

What key is it in? I think it's D, or maybe A. Are these majors? Is that little two riff variation a key change? Does it change to G?

Ok so after that is out of the way, what scales do I need to know in that key? I mean, I've got no problem learning scales and such, but what do I do with them?

Do I just screw around using the notes in that scale and nothing else?

2. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I've got to bump this so it will be on the home page.

3. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    If I remember correctly it's in A. You can think of the change to the 4 chord as a modulation if you want. You can either just solo in A or change to D over the D chord, depends on your approach. If it were me, I would change with the chord, but you don't have to. Just be careful if you solo over the chorus changes there's a C I believe. That would make me think that the whole thing is in Am.

Chris A.

4. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Thank you. Any 3rd opinions?

5. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    It's in D. Almost all the chords are sevenths or power chords, so it's only roughly D major.

Main riff alternates between D7 C7 D7 and G5 F5 G5. Chorus goes A, C5, G7, A.

Clapton's solo is in D pentatonic minor (against D7) and A pentatonic minor (against A maj). Note- the minor 3rds are just passing tones. He quotes "Blue Moon" here and there.

Nevermind about minor over major or what's major, what's dominant, etc. It's a blues pattern with a lot of dominant chords and a flat seven. Pretty standard stuff now, but it was an ear-opener when it came out.

What you're calling a key change is just a I7-IV7 change, then the choruses target the V7.

6. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Wow, that was very helpfull.