Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AI Contra cab removal?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by geoffzilla, Mar 30, 2004.

1. geoffzilla

geoffzilla

Oct 30, 2001
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification
    Has anyone ever removed the clarus portion from a contra combo? If so, was it fairly easy and reversible?

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    In a word, yes. But since I'm an authorized dealer, don't tell anyone I said that. ;)

3. This is giving me a brainstorm. Here's my plan.

1. Remove clarus from my Coda.
    2. Insert a new RE one-8 (have Rich customize it to 4 Ohms) in between Coda cab and Clarus
    3. Result: The perfect blend of dispersion and projection - a nice full low end from the downfiring woofer plus added midrange and clarity from the RE.

Hmm... now all I need is some cash.

4. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Do you have the newer model or the older? I had a newer one, with the molded plastic around the amp section. Inside was just raw electronics -- I'd have had to build a box for it.

5. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    You have the original, older model if it has the molded plastic around the amp section. The series II have the Clarus bolted to the top of the standalone cabinet.

6. Yes, mine's the Seies II, which has the metal casing. I emailed RIch Raezer, and he wrote that he doesn't make the 1x8 in a 4 ohm version. In fact it seems that all of his cabs are 8 ohms.

So, does anyone know of a small 1x8 box that's 4 ohms?

7. paulgraybass

paulgraybass

Feb 9, 2004
    I'm seriously tempted to separate the amp from the speaker. That would effectively give me a clarus that I could use with a variety of cabs depending on the gig.

If I know the gig is going to be medium to loud I would then leave the contras speaker at home as its not a great deal of use at volume.