1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

AI-esque pre-amp

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Peredur, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Peredur

Peredur

Jul 7, 2002
    Wales
    I am running two amps at the moment, an AI Focus for DB and a Focusrite/Yamaha rack for Bass Guitar. I can live with this, but would be happy to find a pre-amp that behaves the same as the AI so that I only had to have one amp and I could spend the excess money on other toys. I really like how the AI makes my Full Circle equiped DB sound. Any ideas? If I have to keep two amps then it will not kill me.

TIA

2. hensonbass

hensonbass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I would highly recommend the new Radial PZ-Pre DI/Preamp/EQ.

It has much more tonal flexibility than the AI preamp.

3. Peredur

Peredur

Jul 7, 2002
    Wales
    Thanks for that, but the trouble is that the AI really works for me tone-wise and I would like the same in a stand alone pre-amp.

4. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    I double with the AI just fine. You can't do that?

5. What's wrong with the AI Focus for BG? I use channel 1 for upright and channel 2 for BG with Sansamp RBI through the send-return to add this nasty edge to it. Works perfect for me.
    If you like the pre-amp of your Focus you can use the effect send or the DI to lead the signal to another amp or mixing console.
    Or is it that I don't understand your quest?

6. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    When I double with my single channel Focus I run the upright into the input and the slab through a Sansamp into the effects return. Works like a charm.

7. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    slick.

8. Peredur

Peredur

Jul 7, 2002
    Wales
    I could double with the Focus and have been doing so, but prefer the sound of the Focusrite/Yamaha rack for bass guitar. I prefer the sound of the AI for Double Bass (through an NV610 - OH YES!).

I am running two heads for different gigs and was just wondering if I might buy a different pre-amp that sounded the same as the AI pre-amp and rationalise my equipment slightly. It's not a huge deal if I do not.

9. Peredur

Peredur

Jul 7, 2002
    Wales
    I have a fishman pre (2 of them in fact - the 2nd was a bargain. I could not stop myself!), but the AI seems to filter out a bit of strident upper mid (what appears to ME like a metallic "boing" on the note) that seems to haunt me whatever I play through - sadly it seems as if the tone really is in your fingers :( The AI sounds closer to what I hear in my head than anything else I have managed so far.

10. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    It will be much simpler to use the AI head for both and preamp the slab sounds than to use something else for your DB and get it to sound right.

Since you've found a DB sound you like I'd use something like the Sansamp for your electric basses and ignore that focusrite yamaha thing.

If you prefer the focusright then use it for the Electric Basses into the fx return and it will sound great.

11. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I use the Focus for both DB and BG. With the DB I usually use smaller cabs like the GK 112MBX or the Contra cabinet. With the BG I'll use the aforementioned cabs or 1 or 2 Epifani UL112 depending on how loud I need to get and I rarely use 2 of them. I usually use the EQ of my BG to dial in the sound I want and don't need the EQ of the amp to do that but you could easily use a Sans Amp, EBS MicroBass or other box to dial in any sound you can't get with your BG EQ.

12. hensonbass

hensonbass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    What I like about the Radial PZ-Pre is that it has a really powerful/flexible eq that lets me dial in a sound that I could never do with the AI - plus all the features of a pedal board would offer - chan. switch, mute, boost, ect.

13. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Another vote for the Focus and SansAmp pairing. I have three passive EBs and I really, really dig the BDDI's tone shaping capabilities for slab. I should say I have a predilection for vintage EB tone, and don't slap or tap, etc. I use it for EB even when it's not a doubling gig.

The Radial DIs and their newer PZ-Pre and Bassbone have always intrigued me too, but I've yet to try any of them. They have been endorsed by a serious set of heavyweights, hensonbass included. :)

14. hgrind

hgrind

Dec 16, 2005
    Otta, Norway
    Has anyone tried the Radial Pre-Z with EB? If it works well with EB, it seems to be a better alternative than the Bassbone, or?

15. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    +1 Sanamp. I did a rehearsal the other day on chop (Warwick) with my Clarus and the Sanamp through an Aggie 12. Got a killer sound. Even for DB I find the EQ on the Clarus kinda lame (I use a Fishman).

16. jweiss

jweiss Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Park City, Utah
    Which Sansamp do you guys prefer? I am thinking of getting one to use with my EB and a Focus I Series 3. Trying to decide between the Para Driver and and Bass Driver... I like the idea of the sweepable mid on the Para Driver, but I was curious if there are any reasons to select the Bass Driver.

I haven't had a chance to try either of them yet.

Cheers,

Jeff

17. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Jeff, are you looking for feedback from DB players? Just asking because I didn't see upright listed in your profile.

18. I'd say the Phil Jones Bass Buddy for your BG. $300, and it is a swiss army knife. DI, stereo Aux in, Headphone out, line out, actually powers a speaker to 10 watts, which is perfect for a spot monitor for the drummer, etc., 5 band graphic EQ, compressor.

The tone is great, and for the money you won't find anything better. And it runs on two 9 volt batteries if you want. Also comes in a nice padded gig bag.

19. jweiss

jweiss Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Park City, Utah
    Yep, that would be great!

(From those who double and use a Sansamp with the EB)

I was thinking of getting a Sansamp for use with the fretted EB and continuing to use my Rob Allen straight into the input on my AI Focus.

My impression from reading is that amplifying the Rob Allen is somewhat similar to amplifying a DB w/ piezo.

Cheers,

Jeff