Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AI Focus 1

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MikeBass, Sep 3, 2004.

1. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Sorry about this fellas, but I've searched and found some answers, but.....
    How is it holding up so far??
    What I mean is, I play mostly 5 strings in moderate to slightly louder than moderate volume settings and like others is wondering how it's holding up.
    Is it handling the B string well?? I play many styles, country, funk, blues, jazz, rock maybe. Is it the "Real Deal" thus far?
    At a little over 4 pounds and 600 watts, ya gotta think about that it may be a little too good to be true. But before I take the plunge, I just want a little feed back.
    Look down at my sig for my current gear.
    Thanks in advance and have a safe weekend!!

2. Even though I just received it Monday, I already had 2 rehearsals and my 3rd gig tonight with it and it sounds phenomenal. Powerful enough for mid size gigs. I have it running during a venue for ~ 5 hours non stop and it just performs well.

So far, I am very happy with it and can highly recommend this beauty. The integrated reverb is a nice add on :)

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    most definitely!

if anything, its your *cabs* that will be most affected by your Low B. but no doubt, your Epifani will easily handle the low B goodness. did for me. :cool:

4. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    You guys suck.
    I was hoping that someone would say, "ya know, it just doesn't quite cut it".
    Now I have to go freakin' get one. All four pounds of the damn thingy. With an included gig bag and speakon cable.
    I hate you guys! ;)

5. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I've had a number of them come through now and people always take them.... Jorg...... :)

Anyway, it will perform wonderfully. Check out the Benavente Video's, Al Caldwell is even playing his 9 string's through it in the clips through the Schroeder 1210. Not sure if you can notice, but in many of the video's the AI is being played through and especially on the dual bass playing video's.

EDIT; Just noticed the Eden wt head. It will have more power then that, but be prepared, because it is clean and what you out into it you will get out of it..........

6. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    Well, after about 2 months of using mine that's exactly what I said," ya know, it just doesn't quite cut it". To me, it was lacking in power and tone. It's ok for rehearsals and small gigs, but I had trouble getting enough out of it in a church gig using a EA CXL112. A Walter Woods Hi Power(300 watt) blows it away.
    Having owned both the Clarus and the Focus I don't hear enough there to justify twice the money. I also like the way the EQ responded better on the Clarus. Just my $.02!

7. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com

Well, there you go. Different opinions, just what you wanted ;) . I've had a number of WW amps and while I think they are wonderful, I personally like the Focus better. Then again I like the less eq color because I love to hear my basses.... The WW is an amazing head unit and cleaner then the Eden forsure!!

8. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Mike, whatever you do just make sure you get a great amp for all of those amazing basses you have. Great selection there. I will say that a Fodera through a Woods and into an Epi 310 is unreal!

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hmm...

really? i've got both now as we speak, and can nary hear a difference btwn the two, if at all.

i will say having more power is a BIG plus. the clarus is perfect for DB'ers, but i'm glad the gents at AI be representin' us BG gents, too.

FYI, i really dont use the EQ all the much, except for the notch filter and hi-band pass, which is pretty handy for boomy rooms. but best of all, the Clarus' and Focus' voice isnt soo coloring as to get in the way of my Imperial-5's pope pre, or my sadowsky pre's.

i'm sure the Woods stuff is as good as everyone raves, but the AI stuff isnt exactly bolonga either.

10. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    From what I understand Rick made minor "improvements" in the EQ of the Focus. To my ears it sounded more sterile than the Clarus, part may be the EQ improvemnets or I may be hearing the difference in the tone of the power amp section. Either way, I still preferred the tone of the Clarus and didn't feel the marginal difference in noticeable power justified paying twice as much.
    Another thing I noticed which disturb me was if the amp was pushed very hard(and I don't mean extremely hard) it reached a point where there like an electrical spike through the speakers. Definietly did not sound healthy for the speakers and something I never heard from any other amp except a SWR Electric Blue.

11. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Well, now this is getting harder 'cause I just stopped by my local bass shop (www.LowDownSound.com BTW) and played through the Focus again, and I think I'll be picking one up soon!
    Played my Emperor through it into a Epi 310 and it sounded good as hell. I'm not doing too bad in the bass dept these days so what I put in to it shoud come out sounding OK. I'm not one for a lot of EQ-ing either. I actually run the WT330 flat with the bass and treb boost engaged depending on the room.
    So, my next plan is to walk my WT330 in there and do the A/B thingy.
    I love my WT330, I think it's the best sounding Eden thus far, I just wish it had a bit more power.

12. different users different opinions. I had the WW Hi Power and my Focus is definitely louder. I used it at last night's gig again (400+ people) and it cut through very, very nicely.

I am extremely pleased with this unit.

13. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    All I can say is my Focus must have been defected because I didn't hear anything that put it in the same class as the WW.

14. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I might as well weigh in here too since I own both the Focus and a Walter Wood Ustra. I've had the WW Ultra for about two years and used it as my primary BG and doubling amp with various combinations of speakers. As I've posted elsewhere, the Ultra with the Schroeder 1212 is what I've been looking for for a long time now. For upright, I was using either a Contra or a Clarus with an Acme B-1. I've sold the Clarus to a guitarist friend and replaced it with the Focus 1R. I've only gigged with upright with the Focus, but have played bass guitar through it a lot in my practice room.

I haven't decided yet which of the two amps I like the best, simply because I haven't had enough experience with the Focus. But I find the Ultra and Focus to definitely be in the same league. I've never liked a lot of eq so I don't miss the kind of flexibility that the iAmp products give, and I find the Focus eq more intuitive and easier to use than the Woods. I also love the notch filter on the Focus, particulary for upright since the Focus can be so loud that feedback can be a problem and the notch filter can take it out. Both of the amps are capable of enough volume for any room and any kind of music.

Of course, the price of the Focus is half the price of the Ultra, the Focus is even lighter than the Ultra (although they are both ridiculously light) and the availability of the Focus is far better. I have had excellent dealings with Walter Woods himself, and I have known Rick Jones since we were both gigging bassists in Ithaca, NY while students at Cornell many many years ago. He is a class act and a quality guy.

As someone who travels and plays internationally, the Focus is a dream come true because of its dual voltage, small size and its light weight that allow me to slide it into whatever I'm using for a carry-on at the time.

Erik Hansen
    Los Angeles

15. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Erik, thanks for the professional view man. Much appreciated.

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    :eyebrow:

17. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

:eyebrow: indeed...

18. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Well, to be fair, the quote above was from when he'd had it only a week. It's not uncommon to have your reaction to a piece of gear change when you've owned it for a month or three.

Personally, I'd love to check out both those little units. The WW and the Focus, I mean. Chris, are you still using the iAmp 800? I've got a 500 and like it pretty well.

19. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I realize that. Still....it seems kinda odd. :meh:

I'm still using the iAmp800, but I borrowed a friend's Clarus 2R for a gig in Cincy last Friday, and it really blew me away. The next night, I played the iAmp with the same speakers (EA VL208), and I think I liked the Clarus a little better - maybe because I liked the pre on it better than the Raven Labs blender. Does anybody know is the Focus 2 preamp is the same as the Clarus 2 pre? The Clarus was perfect for mixing my AMT mic with a pickup. :)

20. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I've got one coming out of the next batch and I can't wait!

I've heard they're actually 350 watts at 8ohms, not 300.

My Clarus has been such the trooper.

Chris: I had a Raven Labs but the AI pre is so good for upright that I never used it. I'm just running an Underwood.

Will