1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Airline/Shipping Liability?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by S3Suggs, Jul 17, 2008.

1. S3Suggs

S3Suggs

Nov 7, 2007
    Hey. Im devastated. I just graduated high school, am planning to attend school for db performance and I went on a tour in Europe with the US Youth Ensemble Chamber Orchestra. Great time.
    The bass was in a rectangular coffin provided by the USYE tour when traveling to Frankfurt and back. However, on the return flight (Luhfthansa 422), the airline did not put the bass on the right flight with me, so it came in the next one and the USYE tour told me that they would take care of it and it would be shipped fedex to my house the next day.

It came a day late, as in today, and despite the mailman's sympathetic gestures, the scroll was snapped off, the bridge collapsed along with the soundpost, theres a hole in the bottom, and its scratched all along the back of the fingerboard, among the injuries.

It was my first bass, I've had it since I began 6 years ago and its taken me across the globe now. We got it from Paul Strehlau's string shop in Fairport (Rochester), NY for around 4grand, not my life savings, but its significant.

Anyone with similar scenario? Help, advice, suggestions? Please,

Thanks,
    Sam Suggs

2. Martin Sheridan

Martin Sheridan

Jan 4, 2001
    Fort Madison, Iowa
    Bass Maker
    You are probably out of luck. The airlines liability on international flights is practically zip. Last year my tools were lost(read stolen) while on a Continental Airlines flight from Chicago to Mazatlan, Mexico with a stop over in Houston. After a year of haggling they offered me a $200 flight voucher which I declined. My tools were worth about $3000.

I would check with on your homeowners insurance as that might cover it.

The airlines liability is also limited on domestic flights to I believe $1500 but does not cover tools, jewelry etc, etc, etc.

Good luck, but don't expect anything from the airline.

Fed Ex?

3. S3Suggs

S3Suggs

Nov 7, 2007
    More info: when it arrived safely to the airport in the hard shell, the airline said it would take care of shipping it to me. Its insured with the homeowners up to 10K. So I think it should be okay

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021