Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AKG 112 vs Audix D6

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Creep, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Creep

Creep

Mar 12, 2004
    Well what do you all think? Which one is best for recording and or live bass amps?

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I don't have an Audix, but I do use a 112. The 112 rocks, super high spl handling, full range, very nice. Maybe a little punchy.

3. My answer from the amps thread.......

4. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    i have used both mics extensively in both live and recording situations.
    the good old akg offers a much warmer low mid, while the audix is very transparent in that frequency range.
    the top end of the akg is much more mellow than the audix which has a much more precise (if not sterile) type of sound.
    the results: the akg seems to take a lot less energy(gain)
    to get a useful low end in both the studio and especially live.
    a nice choice for warm round sounds. i always know what to expect from this mic(i have two at my house gig)
    the audix being so precise is nice for a cutting high end,
    great for "metal" kick drum.it is a bit of a space hog though...
    it has such a clean transient in it's low end(i believe that is a trait of most audix mics, excluding the d4) that you load down your mix unevenly trying to hear the lower frequencies.(after recieving an endorsement for my house gig, i ended up only using their vocal mics.)
    imho the akg has a much more useful character.
    in conclusion...very different mics, best suited for very different sounds.