1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Alamo Paragon

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rev. Mike, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Rev. Mike

Rev. Mike

Mar 15, 2010
    Can anyone tell me anything about this amp especially how it sounds i have a jack cassidy signature ed bass and think this tube amp would be perfect but guy i know that has one wont let me hook a bass to it says only guitars so any help would be great.

2. JDR

JDR

Mar 8, 2008
    An Alamo Paragon bass combo was the first new amp I ever owned (prior to that I was renting a used 2-12" open back Airline combo). It cost $270 back in the early to mid-60s. It was closed back, ported, and had a 15" speaker. It looked like this: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/msg/1636711037.html. I think it was a 30 watt amp but I could be wrong. I recall it was made in San Antonio (my folks bought it for me at West Music in Iowa City) and had some sort of connection to Western Electric. I thought it sounded as good as a 2-12" 40 watt Fender Bassman that cost $399 new. But I also thought it sounded as good as a 25 watt Ampeg B-15N that cost $369 new so who knows how accurate my junior high ears were. Nevertheless, I couldn't justify paying the additional amount for those two amps. I held onto it until I bought a new Sunn 200S in 1967 or 68. Well, in the interest of full disclosure, I really traded it in on a solid-state 3-12" Fender Bassman when they came out, which I in turn traded in on the 200S shortly thereafter. I have fond memories of my Alamo. If you are able to get a clean sound out of it using a guitar, it'll probably be fine even if the guy won't let you plug a bass into it.

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 27, 2020