Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

alanis morissette=janes addiction

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Senor SQUID, Sep 4, 2004.

1. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    Chris Chaney used to play with Alanis Morissette now plays with Janes even though they recently disbanded again.
    Eric Avery, yes you read correctly. Eric Avery is now playing with Alanis Morissette. Crazy world we live in? :confused:

2. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    He has been playing with her for a while now. I saw him play with her almost two years ago at the Bowery Ballroom in NYC for a private show.

They sounded pretty good.

3. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Was there a tenor bassist to-be-named-later involved in this trade? Perhaps a Berklee graduate draft pick?

(This type of humor is when happens when you watch reruns of "Sports Night" right before posting ;) )

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Chaney's a few notches above Avery, IMO.

5. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    Dave was he still playing his P Bass/AMPEG set up when you saw him?

6. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I am pretty sure that was what he was using. (IIRC)He was also using a pick.

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Flea (and I think Dave Navarro) played on her first album as well, I believe, and Flea was with Jane's for a while too.

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Flea is also on Under Rug Swept("Narcissus").

9. Yes but in the Jane's Addiction's cd I really missed Avery's work...
    :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

10. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I heard Alanis & Avery where playing more than music together ;)

11. iloveloosey

iloveloosey Guest

Sep 9, 2000
    flea has this saying of "to be all flash and no smash is not to be a good musician". i remember reading an interview where he talked about doing the bass part for "you oughta know", in which he described the original bass track as having "no flash AND no smash", so he just redid it by punching in his own line. which means, he was probably talking about an original line played by chaney, right?

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I'm not sure who played the original version of "You Oughta Know". IMO, both are pretty close(Flea's may be a little more 'up' than the other)...at that point, I'm sure Chaney was in the picture yet with Alanis.

13. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Flea played a fretless on You Oughta Know.