Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alembic Epic

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StarchMan, Jul 24, 2004.

1. StarchMan

StarchMan

Jul 30, 2003
    These goods basses? I'm not really familiar. Is $1100 american a good price to pay for a used 1994 model in excellent condition?

2. I had a wenge top epic 5 and I didn't like it at all. It had a bad hiss and the top end was abrasive, like chalk on glass. It also weighed a ton.

I don't think they have the magic of the real, higher end Alembics.

Aloha,

Jonathan

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Pretty much my experience, too. I had a sixer with a wenge board (I forget what the top was). Didn't like the electronics and the upper register was just plain nasty. The thing was a clunky, boat anchor, too, with a fat neck.

Everything is subjective, of course, but I wouldn't pay 11 for a used one, no matter how good the condish.

Take my comments with a grain of salt, however. I didn't like the Custom Series 1 I had, either. And Alembic treated me poorly from a customer service standpoint so I'm no fan of them OR their basses! ;)

4. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    look nice
    sound bad
    don't cost as much as other Alembics
    usually cost more than they should

5. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
  6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You sound great, Trip! Was that the Alembic playing the fretless melody or the background parts, or both?

7. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    The fretless on that track was a Status Stealth II. Some of the other clips have Zon and Alembic Fretlesses and Manring is on a two tunes as well. Of course he was using Zons. ;)

8. i want one :D , i get to try one in a few weeks, as long as a mark king sig and a series 1 small body short scale......but i want a epic with zebrawood top and ebony fingerboard, and a small body with a 32" scale with the same woods..mmmm hmmm

random fact: flea used an epic to record the album one hot minute :p

9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    That's funny, I only ever liked the tones he had on that album on Aeroplane, and that was recorded with a ray ;).

That said, I've played a few of the lower-end Alembics and I found them to be quite nice. Never played an Epic specifically though.

10. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I had an Epic 6, Vermillion top, and it sounded great, however, the treble was hissy, but I never needed to add any, so it wasn't that bad. It was a bit heavy, but not bad, either. Overall, it definitely had some (IMHO) minor limitations, but I got lotsa compliments on the sound, and the action was awesome. The general quality is definitely there.

11. Kavorka

Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    I've got to say, your music is incredible, not just tune 4! I stream your songs regularly at work. Got to buy your CD!

12. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    ive played a couple Epics, i loved them all, big thick body, fat neck, tight B string, and i thought great electronics.

it is heavy, but its a big thumpin peice of mahogony

13. Played an Epic 5 back in 93 and I recall loving it.

Oh, Trip - track 4 is pimp..... :cool: A touch of reverb, and a touch of delay going on there? Sounds damn nice.

14. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    Thanks! I appreciate that! :) Oh and to Bimp; Yes on the reverb and about the delay, I don't remember. I'm a total slug that way. That tune was done rather quickly, I just asked the engineer to do something neato. I trusted him implicitly though.
    On the Alembic note, I don't find the treble hissy at all, as a matter of fact I found those electronics to be quieter the than the top of the line electronics on one of my other basses that cost almost twice the price of an Epic. Just my experience though. Love to all.... :)

15. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    It may depend on which year your bass is, too. They did a preamp change at one point which was supposed to address this problem. I know I called them about this and they gave me a couple capacitor values to try, but I found that (essentially lo pass at a very high freq point) to just take away tone a bit too much, so I left it stock. Maybe you got one of the "post update" ones? :) Basically, the bass was bright enough without boosting the treble, and at the 0 point, it wasn't that hissy, so I was happy with the tone. The reason I sold it was because I just couldn't get comfy on the 6 string format.

16. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    There are better basses to be had in the used market for $1100.

17. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Great music!! Sounds fanstastic. And while making a bass sound great should not be discounted, I would love hearing the same piece through another bass for comparison (say through a Lakland 55-95). Thanks for sharing your very excellent recordings!

18. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I wouldn't want to pay $1100 for a 4 string Epic. 5's go for more than 4's of course, and I got my 5 for $930. It's a great sounding, extremely well made bass, IMHO the level of workmanship in Alembic's lower end basses rivals that of some other makers' top end instruments. Never noticed any treble hiss, but I always left the tone controls flat. I'm biased however...

19. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Starch Man,

Have you seen Fealach's gorgeous Epic for sale for $930?

20. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    just soyou know........a new epic runs about 1300-1400 US

www.alembic.com